Maintenance Organisation Advice

hjubm2

Hi All,

So that time of the year has finally come and the Thorp is due for the first round of maintenance since I've owned it. Since this is the first aircraft I've owned I'm looking for advice from the knowledgeable users on here. Firstly is there any other Thorp T18 owners on here that knows of a decent maintenance organisation that has dealt with a Thorp before?

Failing that does anyone have any good recommendations of a decent maintenance organisation within 2 hours flight of Adelaide? (Approx 300NM, so out to Mount Gambier, Echuca, Hay, Broken Hill, Ceduna)

I'm looking to fly it back to Qld for the annual inspection but for the more minor or larger problems that do not make this trip worth while or do-able i need somewhere a bit closer that will offer a decent service for a decent price. As with most people the Thorp is my pride and joy so I want to find someone that can give it the care it needs.

Hopefully someone can point me in a decent direction over this large area.

Cheers

I'd be interested in what your mechanic will say about the prop installation.

I'm predicting that the spinner will need complete replacement. I'm trying to locate the parts and get it replaced before the 16th when the CAO 100.5 Calibrations are booked in. Guess we'll see how it all goes.

I'm predicting that the spinner will need complete replacement

being the owner to have that prediction shows you are aware of a possible failure I personally would replace it now before the sheet hits the fan

happy flying is not having to wonder when that spinner is going to cause your arseee to contract eyes looking for safe landing place and no insurance claim

Ps just read your other post going by the photos your prop I am assuming would have been out of balance to cause your problem from the start neil

I'm predicting that the spinner will need complete replacementbeing the owner to have that prediction shows you are aware of a possible failure I personally would replace it now before the sheet hits the fan

happy flying is not having to wonder when that spinner is going to cause your arseee to contract eyes looking for safe landing place and no insurance claim

Ps just read your other post going by the photos your prop I am assuming would have been out of balance to cause your problem from the start neil

Exactly why I am looking to locate a new spinner etc atm, just not sure where to look atm. Cheers for the tip on the unbalanced prop, it was recently balanced but i'll get it looked at. Cheers

• Agree 1

Light spinners have a habit of cracking. They have to put up with a lot of pounding from the infernal combustion reciprocating self destructing powerplant they are hooked to. The prop is the flywheel and yours is very light. Nev

• Agree 1