Any Quad City Challenger Builders?

I have just purchased a Quad City Challenger two seater. The reason I bought this aircraft is 1. I payed $1500! 2. It is attached to a brand new Rotax 503 that has never been run. 3. It has a brand new in box Tennessee Propellor. 4. It has been stored in a shed in a dry area for a few years now and is a 'Divorced' type sale. Very nice lady too. 5. It also comes with a two seat Quicksilver and Rotax 277 motor (was running when imported from Guam). So my question is!! Should I rebuild this aircraft as it has no Sails or front pod, instruments, tank etc. The frame and wings are complete and in VGC. The Quicksilver I am not so sure about as I only had a quick look. Ideally I want a Stol type taildragger. The engine was what I actually wanted and was happy to pay what I did just for the engine and prop. So now I am the owner of two aircraft. I will be putting them on a trailer and driving them 1600km (unless someone on here is interested in a bargain) ... Then think about what to do with them. Any advice from you People? Cheers,

Todd

• Like 1

The Challenger in particular would be well worth rebuilding - you shouldn't have any problem finding the bits you need, including the sails which are readily available in the USA (www.barnstormers.com) . The other alternative would be to cover it with Ceconite or something similar - much superior to the pull-on fabric.The Quicksilver is a bit of a relic but someone might be interested in a bit of history. The 277 motor is really not capable of much - it could be used to power a Minimax/Himax but most builders would look to install either a 447 or 503 for the extra power. The new Rotax 503 you have acquired is worth at least $3-4000 - they are out of production and hence becoming quite hard to come by now, but still an excellent engine.

• Caution 1

You can still get parts for the challenger and there are a lot of them about, most LAMEs that have worked on ultralights will have come across them at some stage. Has it ever been flown?

how old is that 503? I would be checking the bores and crankcase for signs of surface rust. You'll be spending money to save money.

Good to know microman. I just joined an American Yahoo group dedicated to Challengers. As I said. I am pretty set on getting a taildragger and am currently looking for a taildragger instructor up her in FNQ. So far it is proving difficult. Will get the plane in my house though and if it is not an expensive 'Challenge' then I shall give it a go. And yes the motor is a gem.

wing.jpg.0fd857f2225c163e081f15d27b1b1985.jpg

prop.jpg.51cdbb72889fafc3cce78f637174958c.jpg

frame.jpg.8bcce4f6f0795476d09ff32ad19c30ab.jpg

motor.jpg.e684cbb2c8d36fad2704982c7d551299.jpg

2004922696_motor2.jpg.dc5443f79ce1f28ca69b37f956925d7f.jpg

You can still get parts for the challenger and there are a lot of them about, most LAMEs that have worked on ultralights will have come across them at some stage. Has it ever been flown?how old is that 503? I would be checking the bores and crankcase for signs of surface rust. You'll be spending money to save money.

Motor looked very clean... Albeit lots of spider webs. Carbs and air cleaner still on it so will get it checked out when I get it up here.

Hey bunyips ,you after a tail dragger . STOL. I have one for sale or swaps on here. Check out my Bush Plane Ad on here IDE be interested in swaps. To use in my movie ;). No wuggers

Jack Flyer IMG_0113JPG.jpg.019c43b57f54d9c4b68edb78bd6fd5f8.jpg