Flying Lesson #18 - Steep Turns & Unusual Attitudes | video

Have the instructor back in the right seat with me today. This was a really fun lesson where I got to pull a couple of G's with some steep turns and emergency evasive maneuvers. Also, got to explore a little more of the flight envelop with some unusual attitude recoveries. This lesson has really got me interested in doing aerobatics! I'd imagine it would make you a better pilot and much more comfortable with flying in general.

Any of you guys fly aerobatics? Recommend it for a student pilot?

• Like 3

I remember doing unusual attitude recoveries under the hood during the required 3 hours of instrument flying for the RPPL back in 85, If you end up in IFR trust the Instruments cos your head will screw you up big time. Did the type conversion to the Victa Airtourer which is fully aerobatic so Spin recovery from 2 full turns was required, loved every minute of it. cheers

• Like 1

You've touched on a quite extensive topic which has come up before. Might be good to dig some of that up, rather than start from scratch again. You don't have to fly aerobatics to be proficient in recovery from unusual attitudes . If you fly aerobatics and don't know how to recover from U/A's you won't last long, and it's not permitted in RAAus planes. Aircraft that regularly do aerobatics usually have special inspections at prescribed intervals required on them. The inspections are specific to the type of plane and have evolved over time. Some components Eg wing spars etc are lifed to a reduced time, for planes which do aeros. IF you overstress a plane you may well convert it into a deathtrap for the next user. Like being exposed to extreme turbulence it requires inspection afterwards, and that is not just a walk around.

Yes I have done recovery from unusual attitudes both visually and under the hood. Also been taught and have taught aeros stall spins and spiral recognition and recovery. It was normal for every instructor to have done all this in my day, and in my opinion still should be. Nev

• Like 1