OzRunways now includes Windytv in-app

dsam

I notice the latest release of OzRunways now includes the Windytv information within the app.

Simply tap the "radar" icon and you have a choice to see the BoM radar display, or the Windytv information, which is especially well suited to aviators IMHO. I particularly like the way Windytv permits intuitive visualisation of winds aloft at various altitudes and positions along your intended track. Situational awareness is again enhanced... yes I am a big fan of modern technological aids to aviation planning & operations. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I'm still playing around with Windytv to learn to customise options that suit me. If you register with Windytv, your options are stored in the cloud so they present across multiple devices in the way that suits you.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Yes, I'm with you on modern tech.... A shame our regulators are buried in the dark ages.

I've used windty in flight a number of times and it is mostly quite accurate in the predictions.

How great is it to KNOW another 10 knots tailwind can be gained 2000ft higher or a headwind exists at a lower altitude at any given time.....live, inflight.

What we really need is an overlay from ALL the apps and programs with live traffic.

Flightradar24, Flightaware, Ozrunways, Avplan, etc

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see all this together? ( a trike pilot with no transponder being see by the "heavies" and vice vera)

Another level of safety.

Companies like Ozrunways have made the skies so much safer in regards to live and actual contitions, traditional methods of information dissemination are falling by the wayside.

Where's CASA in all this? Standing by wayside twiddling their thumbs....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I agree with Downunder about displaying live traffic.

I use AvPlan and usually fly in groups of 6 to 12 aircraft, half using OzRunways and half using AvPlan.

My understanding is that OzRunways and AvPlan already have the ability to display each others aircraft as an overlay on the respective app.

My understanding is that AvPlan is willing to display OzRunways aircraft on the AvPlan App and is also willing to allow OzRunways to display AvPlan aircraft on the OzRunways App.

However OzRunways wont agree. It appears from the outside that OzRunways are making this decision for COMMERCIAL reasons rather than for SAFETY reasons. If this is the case I can't comprehend OzRunways reasoning as I can't see anybody who has used OzRunways for an extended period of time wanting to learn how to use a new app (ie AvPlan) and visa versa.

When I fly in these groups, I can see on my AvPlan App other AvPlan users but I can't see the OzRunways users.

I would encourage all those using OzRunways to make inquiries/representation to them why are't they allowing the display of AvPlan users or request the ability to see AvPlan users.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes Doug, this is where we need the regulator to poke and prod a bit ....... for a REAL safety outcome.

Perhaps the regulator needs to front-up with cash to help convince both AvPlan & OzRunways to share data. CASA could also facilitate inclusion of ADSB transponder paints from Airservices servers too. If they did all that, I might be persuaded that CASA honestly cared about safety!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps the regulator needs to front-up with cash to help convince both AvPlan & OzRunways to share data. CASA could also facilitate inclusion of ADSB transponder paints from Airservices servers too. If they did all that, I might be persuaded that CASA honestly cared about safety!

We at AvPlan EFB don't need money - we're more than happy to share. All I get is crickets in response...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

We at AvPlan EFB don't need money - we're more than happy to share. All I get is crickets in response...

Interesting, Bevan... same crickets I got when I asked them a few times to match you on Dynon wifi connectivity (like AvPlan has...). I wonder whether their resources are maxed out on their android development work?

• Agree 1

I think its time you came across to the Dark Side. :-)

Haha, you might be right Bevan... just moderate 2 dis-incentives:

- my time invested learning one interface, then learning a completely different user interface to the same high degree

- price ($169 for my premium OzRunways subscription + $29 Hybrid VFR Dynon map / vs.....? AvPlan $219 + Dynon +?)

Perhaps an introductory offer to those who abandon OzRunways for the dark side? 057_wish.gif.d43fe9c46076c82c3a0ead22e91678fc.gif

Nothing like having a choice, the proof is in the pudding, it is either Ford or Holden

Kununurra, don't get me wrong... I feel we as aviators, can only win from the close software competition we enjoy here in Australia. The two software developers keep each-other "on their toes", and we happily benefit from this competition.

I've done an extensive outback excursion with a friend & fellow pilot who is an AvPlan doyen and beta tester. It became a friendly competition in our cockpit to see who could come up with situational awareness data quicker, and I'm happy to say most times it was a dead-heat. Both apps are magnificent IMHO.

There's just a few price & convenience considerations that come in to the equation for my particular situation - and for me it is fun to compare new features between them.

Dave

Speaking of crickets Bevan, is there any interest from Airservices (or whoever) sharing ADSB "paints" from their servers to airborne AvPlan users?

That would save aviators from building ADS-Pi boxes to integrate the traffic awareness data on our iPads.

• Like 1

Speaking of crickets Bevan, is there any interest from Airservices (or whoever) sharing ADSB "paints" from their servers to airborne AvPlan users?

I see traffic via 3G and traffic via ADSB as complimentary services and not a one or the other thing. Traffic via 3G has the limitation that it only works within coverage, and only has a slow update rate. Traffic via ADSB updates around once per second and is line of sight (more reliable) so it a much better avoidance tool. You only see ADSB equipped aircraft however..

We mix in the data across the two sources so the ADSB targets take precedence over the same aircraft seen via a 3G cellular type service.

• Informative 2

- price ($169 for my premium OzRunways subscription + $29 Hybrid VFR Dynon map / vs.....? AvPlan $219 + Dynon +?)

In all fairness the $29 for dynon is just for 6 months. Our Dynon service (currently $99 per year) includes VFR and IFR maps, georeferenced airport diagrams and digital data for your skyview. Plus the wifi flight plan transfer when combined with AvPlan EFB on your iPad.

We can certainly do a bundle deal for you and others who are interested.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your helpful and informative responses Bevan. Much better than crickets!

"The force of the dark side" is getting much much stronger pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif

• Haha 1

I don't believe they are "holden and ford" at all. I looked at both and found one of then more suitable for my purposes and use.

I've nothing against the other and if my flying and needs were different, I would have chosen that one.

• Agree 1

I don't believe they are "holden and ford" at all. I looked at both and found one of then more suitable for my purposes and use.I've nothing against the other and if my flying and needs were different, I would have chosen that one.

And that is exactly my point