RPL and RAAUS

I'm getting a little lost here, there's a recreational license and recreational certificate.

Is the RAAUS certificate a requirement to then apply for the license?

Is an RPL completely different to the certificate?

This probably seems stupid and I'm going to talk to my flight school about it anyways. But I just thought you guys might help clear the mud. I'm pretty green here only done 4 hours

Thanks

Jayke

They are different things but are the same curriculum with slightly different privileges.

Very soon it is hoped that the privileges will be the same.

What aircraft have you trained in?

Oh, the RPL has a few extra paperwork costs!

An RPL is a CASA licence for general aviation aircraft (GA). RPC is RAAus for RAAus aircraft. Either organization accepts the other's qualifications after you jump through a few hoops. However to fly GA you need at least an RPL and to fly RAAus you need a RPC.

Is the rego 24-xxxx or VH-xxx. First is RAAus. Second is RPL.

That aircraft is light enough for either route.

So is the RPL a longer course then the RAAUS Cert?

It would be the same without the CTA (controlled airspace) endorsement.

Otherwise should be no different as everyone is entitled to convert an RAAus to an RPL.

At this stage of your training it makes no difference except for which paperwork costs you get hit with.

Rego is RAAus by the sounds of it. But at this stage I'm happy to just be up there having a go. I just wanted to clarify the difference so I don't get confused in future haha.

Thanks

Jayke

Yes to the controlled airspace. Permission required from CASA to go above 10,000 according to CAO 95.55 (see below)

8.4 An aeroplane, to which this Order applies, may only be flown at a height of 5 000 feet above mean sea level or higher if it is equipped with serviceable radiotelephone equipment and the pilot is qualified to use it.

8.5 An aeroplane, to which this Order applies, may only be flown at a height of 10 000 feet above mean sea level or higher in accordance with an approval issued under paragraph 9.3.

9 Approval of flights not complying with flight conditions

9.1 A person who wants to fly an aeroplane, to which this Order applies, otherwise than in accordance with the flight conditions set out in paragraph 7.1, may apply to CASA for approval of the flight.

9.2 The application must:

(a) be in writing; and

(b) include details of the proposed flight; and

© be made at least 28 days before the proposed flight.

9.3 CASA may, in writing, approve the application.

9.4 The approval:

(a) must specify which of the flight conditions set out in paragraph 7.1 do not apply to the use, by the applicant, of the aeroplane in the proposed flight; and

(b) may specify conditions to be complied with in relation to the proposed flight.

9.5 If the proposed flight takes place in accordance with the approval (including any conditions specified in the approval in accordance with subparagraph 9.4 (b)), the use by the applicant of the aeroplane in the flight is not subject to the flight conditions specified in the approval in accordance with subparagraph 9.4 (a).

Hi Jayke,

I went down (am still) same path....

Is the RAAUS certificate a requirement to then apply for the license?

RAAus is a completely different authority. RAAus pilots certificate allows you to fly LSA under the 24 registration (or 19, but I wont go into that here)

Its a pilots 'licence' but very limited and specific to 24 reg aircraft and where yoi can fly, non CTA ie, G area.

Is an RPL completely different to the certificate?

RPL is completely different, you fly VH reg planes like say a Cessna, but RPL also has limitations, but you can fly 'real airplanes' (VH) out of 'real airports' , presuming you have correct endorsements.

If you are intending to get your full VH PPL the path through RAAus pilot certificate can (not always) be a very cost effective entry point as you can gain things like radio cert, nav cert and pax cert (take passengers) at much cheaper cost.

That said, as I am discovering, things like radio calls can be much more stringent when flying into/out of 'real airports' so whilst you are certified under RAAus there is often much more to learn, and the ramp up between some country airfield and a 'real airport' with strict regimes is a whole different ball game.

All said though, RAAus gets you flying and experience, often at 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of the RPL/PPL pathway.

Hope that helps.

Fly safe

Ramjet

• Like 1

Well right now I'm happy just learning the basics and having a go.

I'll have to look into more of it as I'd really like to have my PPL further down the track. My school says hours roll over and all count....apparently there are hoops to jump through though....so as for now the RAAus path seems very affordable.

You say certs can still be obtained, so if get my radio, passenger, cross country etc, all this rolls over to my PPL?

Sure does.

Again, the expectation may be a little higher. My PPL CFI wants me to do a nav, just so hes confident in ticking off my PPL. It's his reputation (and plane!) after all.

Also we'll be using DME and GPS panel, and flying into ATC at a busy RPT airport, not a chart, e6b and ruler to get me to the next grass airstrip !

Fly safe

Ramjet

• Agree 1

I recommend starting with RAAus.

Plenty of flying you can learn before dealing with more complex procedures.

I've personally just started the PPL after doing an RAAus certificate.

RAAus is cheaper and dare I say more fun!

• Like 1

Well that's understandable I would expect that whoever does my PPL will check that I am competent to hold the endorsements I'm getting through RAAus but at least I don't have to start from scratch.

Thanks

Jayke