Have your say on guidance for airspace design

Admin

CASA’s Office of Airspace Regulation is inviting the aviation community to have their say on proposed new guidance material detailing the requirements for the design of controlled airspace.

The new advisory circular will provide guidance to those who make airspace change proposals, aligning the process with modern navigation requirements and international standards.

Industry feedback plays an important role in developing new guidance material, and CASA is encouraging all those with feedback to have their say by completing a short 14-question survey.

A draft of the proposed advisory circular will be released in the first-half of 2017 for further comment and consolation with the aviation community.

Have your say by completing the survey via CASA’s website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian, I want to ask them to stop endangering me by having unnecessary controlled airspace which they never use, unless you count endangering me as a use.

Do you think this could be done politely?

Thanks Ian, I want to ask them to stop endangering me by having unnecessary controlled airspace which they never use, unless you count endangering me as a use.Do you think this could be done politely?

Latest RAPAC newsletter. It will tell you how ! I have made changes successfully this way, couple of good people running the show !

UNCLASSIFIED

Dear RAPAC members

Hello and welcome to another busy year for the RAPACs. It was great to catch up with many of you at the Avalon air show last week. The air show is not only a great way to engage with our industry friends but it is also a great reminder of why it is great to be a part of the Australia aviation industry. In addition to the CASA display stands I also had the opportunity to talk directly with many of the industry associations including the RAAA, TAAAF, RA AUS and AOPA.

A key priority for CASA and for myself this year is to continue to build and improve our engagement and consultation processes with industry. An important part of that will be to make sure we understand how you think we can best work together to improve aviation safety.

As part of our new operating structure, the secretariat for RAPAC has now transitioned across to the Stakeholder Engagement Group at CASA with the aim of better integrating and coordinating the important role of these advisory committees with all of our consultation and engagement processes.

The secretariat will be managed by our newly appointed Industry Relations Manager, Andreas Marcelja who joined us in the last few weeks of 2016. Andreas has a background as a commercial GA pilot. Toni Guenther will provide administrative support for the secretariat and the key contact details for the secretariat remain unchanged.

Martin Holberton, Amanda McQualter and the crew in the Office of Airspace Regulation will continue to play an important role in all things airspace and I’m sure you’ll join me in thanking them for their tireless support of RAPAC over the past few years.

As we launch into a busy year ahead, a few points to draw your attention to :

· 2017 Meeting Schedule

A schedule of meetings for 2017 is available on RAPAC page of our website and we look forward to your ongoing participation.

Regional airspace and procedures advisory committees | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

· Aviation Medical Standards

We are seeking industry and community comments on aviation medical certification standards and have a published a discussion paper that canvasses a number of issues and options. Your comments, no matter how brief or comprehensive, are welcome until 30 March. Full details are available here:

Review of medical certification standards | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

· Airspace Protection

The Department of Infrastructure & Regional Development has been seeking industry comment on airspace protection – there are some important issues here including protecting airspace around our major airports from building encroachment, protecting critical communications, navigation and surveillance facilities and canvassing options to better protect low-flying aircraft from hazards away from airports.

The comment period closed on 28 February and the discussion paper and full details are available here:

Modernising Airspace Protection—Public Consultation Paper

· MULTICOM Discussion Paper

Many thanks once again for the considered inputs from the RAPAC Convenors into the drafting of the DP. I’m sure you would agree the process took somewhat longer than we had all envisaged. As you may be aware we had a number of other key issues (ADS-B mandates and the AvMed Discussion Paper) to deal with in the lead up to the end of the year. The good news is that we have published the DP are now seeking your valued input as part of the public consultation. In the lead up to the release we completed an editorial/QA review incorporating the convenor’s feedback and the Flight Ops,A&IUG and Flight Crew Licensing Standards SCC Subcommittees also had the opportunity to review the DP prior to release.

It’s already looking to be a busy year and my team and I look forward to working with you to build a stronger partnership in support of aviation safety. I hope to meet as many of you as I can throughout the year. Safe flying!

Kind regards

Rob

Rob Walker

Group Manager

CASA\Stakeholder Engagement Group

p: +61 (0)2 6217 1167 m: +61 (0)448 400 312

GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601

www.casa.gov.au

cid:image001.jpg@01D2967B.99F12FF0 cid:image002.jpg@01D2967B.99F12FF0 cid:image003.jpg@01D2967B.99F12FF0 cid:image004.jpg@01D2967B.99F12FF0

Toni Guenther

CASA\SEG\Project Coordinator

p: 02 6217 1037 \ m: 0409 832 776 w: www.casa.gov.au

16 Furzer St Phillip ACT 2606

twitter.com/CASAbriefing

www.youtube.com/CASAbriefing

Have AOPA (or other non-airline & non-regulator bodies) published any submissions or discussion papers about revision of airspace design? I feel I should inform myself better before responding. For example, what potential is there to replace vast quantities of C with E airspace, or would that create more problems than it solves?

From my standpoint, as a recreational aviator (Mode-S equipped, but currently without CTA access), I would like to see a huge reduction of controlled airspace, and much less military restricted airspace, as currently I'm prevented from avoiding "tiger country" at a safe altitude, or cannot conduct safer coastal flights up much of the east coast of Australia.

That being said, I'm looking at the issue from a personal standpoint living in Melbourne, and needing to constantly avoid CTA all over my region. Once RA-Aus gets it's CTA endorsement approved, I might be better off, but still there are vast regions of C unused by RPT.

Obviously, some CTA and military restrictions are warranted, but surely not as much as is imposed now. Any links to independent discussion papers (esp. GA & recreational) would be welcome...

Camel, could you please look at the airspace application which I put in to Rapac over a year ago. It is on this site, just put in "airspace application " or something like it into the search box.

So far I have had no reply.

I passed the job of finding out why not to the board members of RAAus that I had voted for. I got an initial reply from 2 of them but nothing for months since.