Superpup/Aeropup

dreemhi

Has anybody organised the fabric and paint for there kits yet? Just wondering what or where you guys were planning on obtaining it ,,,was thinking if it has to come from america may be a good time to order it with the dollar as it is ?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All quiet!

It has been very quiet the last few days!

Here is what I have been up to.....

Resolved the issue of not being able to access the op manual. JC replaced corrupted file and have printed it off.

Working on a instrument panel design and wiring diagrams. At this stage it is good to dream! It will be interesting to see it develop to the final product when economic reality kicks in.

On such matters, i flew up to the SAAA convention in COWRA in October. An interesting story in its own right in a C150, 15 flying hours return to Portland!

The forums were very good and picked up a lot of helpful information.

One helpful hint for first time builders was to get a copy of the aeroelectric connection manual and disk. It was good advice on everything electrical and it has heaps of helpful hints and a disk full of infor CAD drawings ect.

It will answer a lot of what to do and what to use questions.

Managed to pick up a copy of TURBOCAD v7 at a reasonable price and you are off and running! Should pay for itself over the course of the project.

Still researching engines, still leaning toward J2200.

All in all managing to keep busy as hopefully the delivery day gets closer.....

Regards,

Paul @ YPOD :;)4:

Forum members,

Good news, I received an email from John Cotton to say that my wing kit is crated and ready for dispatch. I am currently making freight arrangements to get this part of the kit here to me in Inverell, NSW before Christmas. I have holidays in January so the timing is quite good. My Aerovee motor is on the docks in Brisbane and should be ready for release next week. Both kits should arrive here about the same time.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Wing Kit

I have just spent the last 2 days in the car to pick up a wing kit. 1200 km round trip from my place.

I will give me some thing to start on as the rest of my kit is still a way off.

Plenty of activity at the factory. 3 Fuses on the go and some other wing kits packed up just about ready to freight out.

Let the fun begin....;)

Paul

Hi Fellow Builders,

My wing kit arrived in three heavy boxes last week. It looks as though I have plenty to start with however there was no list of contents to check off against and the folded aileron sheets were not a matched pair. Something I will sort out with John in due course. I have located a small magnetic (to hold the sheet in place) folding machine in town and folding the aileron and flap ribs will be the first job next weekend. If I can work out how I will post a couple of photos.

How did the factory seem Paul? I intend to pick-up the fuselage and have a look then.

Mark

Mark,

It was a Saturday arvo when I was there so it was pretty quiet except for john and myself packing the wing kit in the car / trailer. The factory is quite unassuming and off the main drag.

Had a look at the various jigs. I think in my last message I noted that there are 3 fuses under construction. They look good. Looking forward to getting the other part of the kit next year.

There is a packing list for the wing kit so catch up with john to see if you can get a copy. There were a few small parts in my wing kit that were not on hand at the factory and are now on back order.

Getting my shed organised before I make a start on my wings. Will probably start with the capping on the ribs.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

G'day everyone,

I have just finished building my Aeropup S/n 18. It's taken 18 months (1400 hours). About to do the weight and balance and then the final insp. Hope to have her flying late jan early feb. have fitted a Jab 4 cyl. Glad to assist anyone who may have Q's or need help.

Ducky

Well Done.

Keep in touch as you go into the test flying - very interested to see how it performs - I am going for the jab 4 cyl as well.

I had alot of discussions with John C when I picked up my wing kit about weight and balance with the jab motor being so light.

Did you go with the 1 deg. swept back wing? We also discussed the possibility of putting a spacer behind the eng mount to try and get the weight forward?

Interested to see how you go.

Paul

Cutting Ribs behind rear spar

A question.

How close do you cut the rib behind the rear spar. The drawing states 1.19" back from the center of the read spar which is flush. Has anyone got any pick of what they have done?

Paul

1530977452_CopyofAEROPUP_020copy.jpg.02facf34b7fa252499baf55c94c25ad9.jpg

Paul,

All of my ribs, except first and last ribs had the T / Edge pre cut off. I can't remember the exact dist rear of the spar hole, but about 1/8". Rib 1 & 11 are full length. Happy to send some pics to your email address.

Hi Ducks,

Congratulations on getting the Aeropup to this stage. I have followed your progress over the last 12 months on Leighs Airlines site. I have just begun my Aeropup project this month and like Paul I have begun with the timber work on the ribs. I often visit Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and would appreciate the opportunity to have a look at the finished product. It is likely that I will be up that way towards the end of this month. Would it be possible to meet, have a look and ask a few questions?

Regards,

Mark

No worries Mark, drop in any time. What is your email address so I can give you my details.

Re your post # 63. I coated all my timber parts with Wattyl two part Estapol 7008 available anywhere and is completely compatible with the Stits products.

Ducky (Steve)

Hey Mark,

How are you going sourcing the DP190 Glue? I am having some trouble out here in the sticks. The sydney number in the build manual gives the engaged signal all the time?

What size are you buying?

I can get some through a local supplier but have to by a box of 12 x 200ml as it is a special order for them - not sure if that will be too much or not enough?

I have also set up a website where I will be posting my progress - check it out at aeropup.blogspot.com

Paul

Hi Paul,

I bought mine through Bakers Industrial who I am sure will mail order. Product number 00681753. I was able to buy individual 50 ml dual syringe packs at about $ 27.50 ea. The 50 ml packs are great because you can meter out and mix small quantities. I went through about 8 packs. You don't need the applicator nozzle or gun, just insert two pieces of tube about 100mm long into the syringe pack and meter out onto an old margarine tub lid, and mix. Apply with a small spatular or similar.

Ducky

Thanks Ducky.

I have ordered a couple of 50ml tubes through my local suppler, $33 each delivered so that will be ok if he comes through. It was meant to be here today but now they are saying Monday.

One final silly question (at least for today), what solvent did you use? The one in the manual (Eposolv 70 I think) or plain old MEK solvent?

Cheers,

Paul