Superpup/Aeropup

dreemhi

Hi Mark,

Yeah I agree with Curandero. The removeable port access panel is great. It just makes it so easy to get access, which I have had to many times for various reasons.

In fact next time I would make the starborad panel removable also. If made correctly the panel still contours nicely to the fuselage frame and not look out of place.

Regards

Ducky

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just wondering guy's did your flap and aileron assemblies come out as a nice clean straight finish all over ? seems mine ended up a tad,,,,,, yeah.. Its not like it is all over the show but it wasn't exactly how i envisioned the end result.

I was also wondering if anyone may have a nice collection of build photos I might be able to get a copy of on cd or something ? The drawings are ok in the manual but nothing seems to compare better than a good picture,,,, cheers...

Guest Curandero

Hi Brett, I could load a lot of photos onto a cd and post them to you. They would be of a lot of the build. also there is a builders pic collection in the Aeropup website. You might get some benefit from mine in completing the wings plus some of the fuselage shots. James Chase is the man for help I would think. He was excellent in helping me

Curandero

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Curandero

Has anybody used Jacobs Well airstrip called Hecks Field? If so can anyone tell me anything about it. I am considering it as a way to get to friends at Victoria Pt below Brisbane but would like a little first hand info about it or how to get info about it. I have already used the Recreationalflying airstrips function but require more.

Curandero

Brett and Mark......I noticed you guys are using the Aerovee engine. Can you give us some feedback as to how you are going with these engines. I looked at the web site and me being a keen fiddler of engines, the idea of assembling my own looks like fun! Out of interest, how much were they if you dont mind my asking and what extras need to be purchased to get it running?

Scotty :big_grin:

As yet I have not built my engine. I think I will wait till the airframe is complete before I will build and assemble it so I can reduce the risk of corrosion with it sitting in my shed. I guess as for extras ,like any other motor depends on the airframe. aeroconversions web site has the layout of what is supplied ,,as for what it will cost depends on the exchange rate ,,with it dropping who knows with the gst and tarrifs the port will hit you with. A direct drive air cooled motor like this is a little limited as to what you can put it into ,, they say after the new mods the motor can swing a larger prop with less pitch but I guess time will tell as ppl try them out on slower flying airframes. good luck with what ever you chose to to do.

Hi Curandero,

I have flown into heck field at Jacobs Well twice now. It has two strips which cross each other 18/36 and 10/28 CTAF freq 126.7. I you go to www.gcsfc.org.au you will find all the details you need including a schematic layout of the strip. the runways are good, gravel surfaces, but the taxiways are a bit rough.

I keep my Aeropup hangared at Caboolture which is about 30 mins drive north of Brisbane. If you are in the area it would be good to catch up.

Ducky

Guest Curandero

Thanks Ducky, I will look at the address you gave. Tell me, do you fly in controlled airspace around Caboolture. I have a PPL as well as RAAus and soon to try my first into Adelaide CTA flying coastal with the Aeropup and wondered if any pup owner has had any experiences, problems etc with that.

Curandero

Curandero, The CTA step around Caboolture is at 3500' so no problems. I haven't flown my Pup into CTA and don't really intend to at this stage, plenty of wide open uncongested places to visit elsewhere.

Anyway fyi, the Caboolture Aeroclub website is www.cabaeroclub.org.au if you do fly up this way in the future. It is a beaut airfield with accomodation, pub etc close by.

Regards

Ducky

Guest Curandero

Ducky, thanks for that. I guess I also am looking for Rec Pilots who have flown in CTA without having a ppl. I know certain requirements exist such as the engine, radio etc but what about our license. I will go on the RAAus website and see if there's any info there. I could phone them too.

Curandero

Curandero, I may be wrong, but as I understand it, at the moment to fly into CTA with a rec registered aircraft you would need a current ppl, radio & transponder, not sure about engine certification. RAAus are currently trying to gain CTA endorsments for its members.

Ducky

Guest Curandero

Hi Ducky

Yep, well I phoned Mick Poole and yes the ppl is for a while longer required but.. I have to phone him back in 2 weeks as he is expecting that -in regard to license- we RAAus pilots with the aviation engine etc will be able to be endorsed with CTA if we have had GA training. So it is a work in progress and maybe not in the next magazine but the one after, full info will be available

Curandero

Hi Aeropuppyers,

Ive been reading this forum for a few days now. Ive inly just joined this web stuff & am learning how to drive it. Been flying ultralights since 1999 & have 600+ hrs but have not been flying for just over 3 years. I'm planning on getting right back into it now. (with "her" blessing I might add, no easy feat, I had get a lot of brownie points).

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif I'm interested in the Aeropup as it is the aircraft that fits most of my wish list.

From what I have gathered over the last few days I have a few questions. Hopefully someone out there can enlighten me.

1) why would a Jab 2200 have a run up max of 2800rpm with a 60x42 prop on a Jabiru & only 2600 rpm on an Aeropup?

2) is there a consensus on whether its better to fly the A'pup with a 60x38 with the new (economy) jets?

3) there appears to be a need to add weight to the nose with Jab 2200 installations. Rather than adding weight how far further forward whould you have to move the engine?

4)What is the luggage capacity, especially with the Jab 2200. i.e. haw much can you carry behind the pilot/passenger without putting the C of G too far back.

5) there has been a mention somewhere of sweeping the wing 1 deg by my calculations this would move the MAC back ~ 30mm. Is this a reasonable thing to do?

The reason I am asking all these Q's re Jab A'pups is because there is one for sale & I'm wanting to get as much info as I can.

Also on another vein, do the a'pups go better with the Jab or a Rotax 912?

Are there any other A'pups for sale? or comming up for sale in the future?

Cheers

Keith 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Hi Tornado,

1/ Good question. I can understand why in flight as the jabiru is faster, but on the ground static, you would think they would be equal bar some slight cowling (thus airflow differences). I trialed a near new J160 and it only got 2750 static anyway.

2/ Personally I will probably end up using the 60 X 38 prop, mainly to keep the rpm at cruise at the suggested levels, others may beg to differ ?

3/ Unsure of how far further fwd the engine would need to be moved, perhaps 1/2 " , but this then impacts on engine cowling clearances.

4/ I did very thorough W&B weighings, mine was weighed over 20 different scenarios starting from empty and gradualy adding fuel, pilot, pax, cargo etc. I can carry a combination of pilot, pax, fuel and cargo up to 544 kg, with cargo max of 20 kg behind the seats.

5/ John Cotton has suggested wing sweep back as a way to eliminate the addition of ballast. I didn't know about that when I built mine so added 4.86 kg to the nose (a divers weight belt weight worked beautifully).

6/ I can only speak for the jabiru 2.2, if I built another one I would seriously consider a rotax 100hp. This slightly heavier engine would probably eliminate the need to add lead also.

Does anyone else have input to Tornado's Q's.

Ducky

Guest Curandero

Tornado, you can have a chat with me later this week and I will give you statistics on my Aeropup. I took my 42 prop off and put on a 38. My trim mechanism is right at the tail plane which I thought might have something to do with nose weighting. It's not a good idea to put the engine forward with washers between the mount and the chassis as it would make for 'working' around the bolts and so be a potential disaster in flight. Where are you i.e. what state? I'm in SA. ph08 88492060

Curandero

Hi Currando,

I am in Wynyard Tassie looking over Bass Straight. Thank you for the reply. I will endeavour to ring you but asI have late meetings tonight & tomorrow it will be Thursday at the earliest.

Cheers ;)

Tornado

Guest Curandero

HI Tornado, I will be home those nights but going out for dinner Friday night, home all weekend.Lots to discuss.

Curandero.

(Is that too much information?)

Aerovee Engine

Brett and Mark......I noticed you guys are using the Aerovee engine. Can you give us some feedback as to how you are going with these engines. I looked at the web site and me being a keen fiddler of engines, the idea of assembling my own looks like fun! Out of interest, how much were they if you dont mind my asking and what extras need to be purchased to get it running?Scotty :big_grin:

Scotty

I also bought an Aerovee.

Cost was $US 7000 including the exhaust and throttle.

Imported through Kalgin International. I dealt with guys in the Melbourne Office who were very helpful.

Import cost $A 2172 delivered to my home in Melbourne.

It comes with a good DVD which shows each step in assembly. If you have ever assembled other engines the VW is not much different.

Good Luck

Bob

Guest The Bushman

Supa Pup for Sale

If anyone is looking to gain entry to the Flying side we have a supa-pup for sale, aircraft is less engine at this stage all item remain to fly away in a good aircraft was flown from M/Bridge to B.Hill and the Engine was removed for another project will only need new/second life Jab engine and prop to fly away 380 hrs on the Airframe no problems at all this is the folding Wing Single seat Aircraft with Trailer a steal at $18,000.00 pic is the one on my thread full dash includes M/Air Radio /UHF radio Strobes Etc.Etc:rotary::rotary::rotary:

The Bushman

• 2 months later...

just thought id blow the cobwebs of this thread,,, after just finishing a few hours building,, then cracked a stubby and plunked my self in the drivers seat and had a bit of a shed fly,,,but the funny thing is I noticed just how much leg room there was,,had the old fellas stretched right out,, I have been now in quite a few planes but wondered why those extra few inch's just aren't catered for when ppl design these things,,,I did however have the rudder pedals on the most furtherest adjustment point in . I could I guess have been in the wrong planes so far ,,anyway who knows,,,

Guest Curandero

Well oh tall one, us dwarges (large dwarfs) had such short legs that the rudder pedal would fall under the heel at full extension and had to be re configured to prevent losing the rudder to the floor ! This was done, offered to John Cotton who had a kosher chrome moly welder knock them up and now I can pedal like a 5 year old.

Curandero.l