VHF Desktop Scanner.

I'm after a Aviation VHF Desktop Scanner or Desktop VHF Base Station with selectable freq scanning.

I already have a Handheld I am using now, and take to the airfield when I fly, but its reception is very poor when being charged, and I don't like flattening the battery every day. (Battery Life).

It must be able to scan programmed freqs.

I'm surprised there are so few options for what I am after.

Any suggestions what to buy and where to buy it from.

Also I would like to install an aerial on my roof to increase the range (and possibly pickup aircraft taxing at my local field. (I am 4nm from my local airfield and about 5nm from another).

What would you recommend. I've seen prices range from $100 to several hundred. Straight poles and shaped antennas.

Cheers

Any uniden bearcat. Second hand preferrably. Alternatively chuck out the cheapo switch mode charger and get something less electrically noisy. Like a motorcycle battery that can be charged when you aren't listening.

Ditto for the antenna. It will work ok if it has an external antenna socket and you plug an air band outdoors antenna in to it (or the bearcat).

Desktop scanners obviously have a more expensive mains supply

I've got a Uniden UBC355XLT at home, connected to a roof mounted antenna. It covers many more frequencies than I need (only really care about airband), can program in favourite frequencies to scan or lock on one, or scan the entire band. My only real complaint is that I can't just enter a new frequency like on the handheld, hence why the memory is important to store the frequencies you like

Get an adapter to plug into your goof to aerial via a splitter if u don't have a spare tv aerial outlet and plug into the aerial port on your hand held. I can get cooly tower from Benowa on mine like that.

I have one of these which has given good service. 200 channels programmable and will scan in selected bands. I bought mine off ebay cheap many years ago.

Just found this one if your interested

1 items found from eBay international sellers

• 2d 2h left (Tuesday, 12:09)

• From United States

• Customs services and international tracking provided

•  

• Rgds Planey

Thanks for the replies.

I have looked online for the Uniden Bearcat. They have quite a few models, including the suggested UBC355XLT. It has mixed reviews, although at $179A it doesn't look too bad for the price.

That Realistic is a very good price too.

As far as I can determine, It is legal to import scanners form overseas (they do not have any transmit function), has anyone had any issues importing scanners (not transievers). Ive seen a descent new scanner overseas significantly cheaper for the same model, than here in Aus.

Petermah

Are you saying you connect you VHF scanner to your TV aerial socket, and it picks up the airband well.

I thought a dedicated VHF with give significantly better range.

Problem is which one, heres some photos of VHF Airband Antennas

vhf airband antenna - Google Search

Pick one, any one!

The TV antenna is typically a Yagi design and a bit directional. Note most TV stations all Transmit from one central place such as Mt Coot-tha, Mt Dandenong (?) or Black mountain etc

But the band is not too far off as old VHF TV sound used the same band as FM broadcast (not digital) so the antenna will pick up something even if it's not pointing quite in the same direction. Finally, air band is VHF AM 118 to 132 MHz. A 90 degree azimuth won't help at all. That is to say if the TV antenna is pointing north and the airport is east or west. A summary of frequencies:

UHF TV 506.25 and up (irrelevant for this discussion)

VHF TV image 138.25-299.75 MHz

Air band voice 118 to 132 MHz

Air band navigation 108-117.95 MHz

FM broadcast 87-108 MHz

So yes the TV antenna can pick up quite a bit of this

mnewbery,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise VHF TV was so close to the airband frequencies. (Buy new TV, Plug it in, autotune, watch).

I will buy a descent airband Antenna, however I am not sure what I should be buying (see link above to all the very different VHF airband Antennas). But when I do figure it out, will upgrade.

In the meantime I will buy suitable plugs to use my TV aerial.

Thanks.

Anyone had issues importing scanners?

Cheers.