From RA to GA

1. Have anyone convert their RA hour into GA in South Australia like Adelaide ? Any school recommend ?

2. I know people usually convert the Ra aus certificate to RPL, just wonder if that possible to convert Ra aus cert to PPL directly ? how's the gap training ?

Thanks

You should be able to do that at AdelaideBiplanes.com.au at Aldinga. since they train both RA and GA. Pop down one weekend and enjoy a meal under the veranda, and have a front seat view of what's going on.

Might be nearer than MB but not necessarily cheaper.

• Like 1

Hi, did mine with Gary Pullman at Murray Bridge, took about 13 hours with Controlled Airspace. Used the Bob Tait PPL book for the exam. All pretty straight forward.

Are those 13 hours all dual GA hour ?

how many RA hours or/and endorsements do you have before doing the GA training ?

Atm, i got about 35 dual and 5 solo RA hours without any endorsements . I know it really depends on individual but still would like to have more ideas to see how far away from my PPL . thanks

Are those 13 hours all dual GA hour ?how many RA hours or/and endorsements do you have before doing the GA training ?

Atm, i got about 35 dual and 5 solo RA hours without any endorsements . I know it really depends on individual but still would like to have more ideas to see how far away from my PPL . thanks

I had approx 55 hours dual & 80 solo (25 RA-Aus cert, 11 Navs, 15 RA-Aus instructor rating + 1 year solo flying in various aircraft), so I had done a fair bit of flying before going for my PPL. I'm not sure what the minimums are these days but you need to make sure of two things: 1. The GA school you use will recognise your hours in RA-Aus and 2. The RA-Aus school you are with are covering the required subjects correctly and fully - especially NAVS, i.e. TAFS, LSALT, Alternates, Low Level (500') navigation etc.

With regards to actual flying, the biggest issue I had going from a Jabiru 230/Sportstar type aircraft to a Cessna 172 was the flair. The weight of the controls and the view out the front made for some re-assesment of my landing technique, but once I sorted that out it also made the lighter aircraft landings better :-). After getting my PPL I went on to get my NVFR and CIR (now just IR) and after doing all that I realised just how lacking my RA-Aus training was regarding VFR navigation.

Re: the 13 hours, yes, that was all dual and all navigation, i.e. Navs into and out of CTA, low level navs (500'), 2 hours on instruments, dead reckoning and rectifying unknown position. The flight test consisted of two parts, aircraft handling (stalls, turns, EFATO, price. landing etc. etc.)and navs.

• Like 1

It took me 3.5 hours to go solo and be signed off in a C172, which with the paperwork got me the RPL. I then continued and did the PPL, which was mainly just controlled airspace and navigation again. Even though I had the navigation endorsement I needed to be on a PPL standard and in reality I was rusty. It took about 15 hours. It will depend on you, some do it in very little, I took a bit more as I retrained in many things.

• Like 1