Buying partially completed kits

seen a secondhand kit for sale (SP100 PULSAR) and it really probably going on to be third hand. It is a composite design and is complete with instructions but lacks a build log. Is this a red flag that you first of all shouldn't go past and second of all can't go past. It is a quick build kit. I've always been attracted to this design but the company is not producing them anymore. The other main issue is it is in the USA so inspection up close and personal is problematic. What are the thoughts about it?

Often a sale is made as building errors occurred in the early stages of construction. Now everything needs to be modified to allow for the error. So much time now involved that the person gets disillusioned at the work involved and passes the project on, hoping to get their money back. Suggest that you spend a day or two and go over any purchase possibility with a tape and level and look for modified parts. Worth it if it just that the previous builder has lost his medical, which is probably the most common reason given.

seen a secondhand kit for sale (SP100 PULSAR) and it really probably going on to be third hand. It is a composite design and is complete with instructions but lacks a build log. Is this a red flag that you first of all shouldn't go past and second of all can't go past. It is a quick build kit. I've always been attracted to this design but the company is not producing them anymore. The other main issue is it is in the USA so inspection up close and personal is problematic. What are the thoughts about it?

To me, you seem hesitant to go through with it, and you have some very valid points why not to: Can't inspect it, no log, no longer in production. I say, listen to your gut instinct and give it a miss. I'm sure there will be better and more local offers will come up.

Cheers,

Tony

• Agree 1

from working with my own planes, I can say its definitely easy to lose motivation and let the project languish in the garage. The work that's required to finish a composite aircraft after the basic assembly is really tedious sanding and paint prep.

Composites are great because of the complex and sexy shapes you can make with them but they suck to work with if you don't like sanding.

• Agree 1

Some valid points. Sanding and painting are a bit of a drag; I think I would enjoy working with the aircraft systems the most. It is a great design though. Potentially 200mph on 130hp.

Tend to disagree. A single seat canard would be able to achieve 200mph on 130hp. That is if designed aeodynamically! The Mooney 201 is a four seat metal aircraft that is designed very well, it gets 200mph on 200hp. With fibreglass much more aerodynamic designs are possible. Must be constant speed prop and retractable.

As for someone elses unfinished kit....personally, my life is worth more than someone elses mistake.

There is a 582 pulsar here. Owner built it in 95. Still looks like it was finished yesterday.

Gets an easy 115kts.

Owners says bigger engines don't get much faster...

I wouldn't really consider it much of a "2 seater" either, unless both were under 70kg's.

It's quite a small aircraft up close.

• Haha 1