Opinions of Sydney ultralight flying schools

Guest muchapetrov

Guest muchapetrov

G`Day everyone, im thinking of learning to fly an ultralight in the Sydney area. So far my net searching has come up with Sydney Jabiru at Hoxton Park, and a couple of clubs at The Oaks.

Has anyone got any opinions of these training schools?, good, bad or indifferent?

im leaning towards Sydney Jabiru at Hoxton Park, as ive done some gliding out at Camden (close to the Oaks) and it was a hassle to get there from North Sydney.

Also does anyone know what the life expectancy of Hoxton Park is, before the bulldozers move in?

cheers

Mucha

Guest disperse

I'm learning at the Oak's ......very nice and laid back .......about $25 p/hr cheaper then hoxten pk but thats not a lot to pay for the convenience ...... Id do a TIF (trial flight) at each one $50 at the oaks . meet the instructors and sus the place out.

There is a school at camden you know...They have J160's with glass cockpit's.. The CFI is and old check and training officer from an airline...good people..about 25 bucks an hour dearer then the oak's but..But the training is guided towards the airlines, they just happen to do ultralights aswell...but very thourough training..

From memory there is a school operating RA aircraft with RA training out of Camden? It was one of the first doing it. Can someone confirm that?

There is a flying school at Camden using Jabirus. One is a 24- registration and the other is a VH- registration. Both aircraft are in good condition (my company services them). The CFI seems to be a pretty experiences guy.

Camden only has air traffic control on weekends, so you can fly the 24- reg during the week without problems. Can't advise prices, as I haven't bothered to check.

Old Man Emu

Yes..there is a school at camden..Like i said about 3 post's up...and yes, you can fly out of camden in RA aircraft during the week..The cfi's name is David maddoch...the aircraft are a jabiru 4785 and jabiru LSI..both glass cockpit 160's..Do you guys read the previous post's b4 posting or what??...lol...;)..the prices are a bit higher then ya standard jab's..its 125 per hour solo, plus gst and a landing fee at yscn..

ANTZ..how can u have been flying out of hox for years and still thought yscn is controlled??Surely uve been close enuff to yscn to need to tune to there radio freq...lol...

Ha.. Yes not great I guess. I started in 02 with Syd Jab (only some UAW), then moved to Port Macq and started GA training(only up to solo). I then moved back to Syd and continued up to Solo and some forced landing etc. I then messed myself up in a motorcycle acc. and hadn't flown 4 ages. Just picked it back up again now and getting ready for pre test. So years - yes. I know the school well. Training area - not so much. I still have to look quite hard for the chook sheds and brick pits. I just know that Camden is marked CTR and surrounded by a blue dashed circle on the VTC. Hence not gospel. But thanks for the info. Good forum.

ANTZ..sorry to hear about ya moto prang..ive done some damage to meself on those beaties in the past too...good luck with the training ..U'll be up and into it after ya get ur pilot cert.. I too had a heap of setbacks in my training..started in qld, one instructor died in a plane wreck, the next instructor tried to kill me in a plane wreck...finally got it finished at camden 9 years after starting..so hang in there dude..you'll do it, once the bug bites ya, theres no turning back...lol...

all the best

Guest derosa64jr

Mucha

If you live on the north side of Sydney you might consider Valley Ultralights at Warnevale.

Warnervale is an easy 45 min drive up the F3. Maybe quicker for you to get to than Camden.

The school is listed on the RAA website and training is on a J160C.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Macnoz

I'm a bit late joining the thread but what the heck.

I've flown at both training schools and they are excellent. Ash at Hoxton Park also has a beautiful forgiving Tecnam Golf P96. Once you get used to being a heavy right foot this flys and lands like a Gazelle -- on steroids. A little bit dearer than the Jabls but worth it.

Ash and the crew make for a very informal atmosphere at Hoxton Park -- I was left babysitting the office on my first visit.

David and the crew at Camden are very welcoming and professional. There are official ways around the GAP weekend constraints at Camden and are about to be incorporated into the new ops manual.

John

i have been fliyng with Sydney Jabiru now for about 8 yrs! once hoxton closes, they will be moving to Bankstown, up until recently there has been just one instructor at syd jabiru, but now there is a second full time instructor and a new technam as well. Sydney jabiru have operated out of camden in the past also