mounting systems for tablets in Savannah

matt walsh

HI fellow savvy owners, if you use a tablet what is your mounting set up?? I'm thinking that the RAM brand mounting units might be useful, Your thoughts pictures etc will be appreciated. Thanks Matt

HI Kyle (or is it Mark?) thanks for reply. Did you find the RAM system ok ie robust, stayed in place etc and I guess went to the panel mount for cleaner arrangement.

Can you advise what your RAM set up was please. I am think of having the tablet in field of vision to avoid looking down onto panel, ie up and left. Thanks.

At least you pretty much have my name right..most dont...yes its Mark

I got the ram mount stuff from Johnny Apleseed. I had a clamping scissor mount style Ipad mount and just had about a 100mm long double balle arm and a around the pole style ball on the cabin frame and a ball on the back of the ipad mount. it worked fine but it was too big infront of me on the left side so I put it on the right side and with the single stick it was a pain in the bum...I now have twin sticks and it would have been better but I do prefer the indash one I have now though

• Agree 1

Hi Mark (from freezing Victoria tonight)

Yes I figured Kyle is your business name and not your first name. Thanks for the info and direction to your previous post. I think this set up may suit and I'll check out Johnyappleseed. I've read alot of your post over the years and you make very helpful and constructive contribution so thank you from us who may not know and have done as much as .

BTW, I purchased my Savannah from Roger Weston from Caboolture about 18 months ago and just love it. My first plane was a Gazelle and lovedd her but she had range limitations. The savvy is much better here, more roomy and faster. I love it!!!!

On a different matter I read that you experienced a fuel issue and I am very sure that I experienced similar last year which resulted in an emergency landing in a paddock in Harrieteville Victoria, (after just touring the Vic Alpine area and fortunate it didn't happen 10 mins earlier.)

Your Post:

Had a fuel issue on the way back where my outer right tank would not drain so I made a stop in at Watts bridge with very little fuel left to see if I could find the problem. Turned out to be a little insect had blocked the breather tube, mine is setup as per factory with the 3mm tube going through the wings. I managed to release all that fuel back into the other tanks and flew back to Ycab no issues although it took almost 45 mins the wind was really strong. I got some 1/4 stainless tube which I put 1/4 UNF threads onto then 2 nylocks back to back and put those into the caps. All 4 tanks have now been done I will post some pics tomorrow as I am away up at the farm this weekend.

I have replaced fuel caps with new ones supplied by Reg and passing nylon breather tube through wing. Can you explain about the highlight treatment you added and why please.

Thanks Matt Walsh, Penfield, near Sunbury, Victoria,

Hi Matt yes Roger is a good friend of mine and his hangar is 2 doors up from mine. I know your aircraft very well. Roger has just come back from Oshkosh as well.

The fuel issue was caused by what you have now. The plastic tube that comes out from the top of the fuel cap and goes through the wing and is cut so the airflow goes into that small tube. A insect got into one of the tubes and caused a vacuum on that tank causing it not to drain so I had a full tank but couldnt use it. I noticed it reasonably early as I can control all 4 tanks on my plane individually so was able to make the right decisions. I landed at Watts Bridge and blew out the tube and voila the tank was usable again. So flew the rest of the way back to Ycab. A lot of Sav guys have made the mod I did. You get rid of the small tube and the fitting in the top of the cap. I then got thin stainless tube 6mm bent them to the shape in a tube bender and threaded the outside and got 2 nylock nuts and fitted them like in the pictures attached. Just drilled out the holes in the tank caps. never had even any issue at all since. The last pic you can see them on the wing. That was after repainting my cowl. My sump system is a little different as well. The 2 inputs at the top I have one and it takes all the fuel from my 4 way fuel manifold that I control all tanks from individually the other inlet at the top goes direct up to the top of my right hand inner tank where I have the sight gauge so I can never get a vapour lock there which is also others have a few issues with. I did this when I first built her though as I knew it was a problem with the std system ICP used

The S that I am rebuilding at the moment I will do the same to.

IMG_3001.jpg.ce0c393cdcd9d853495c884887d836d9.jpg

738429564_IMG_2337copy.jpg.0f48a08765fe4ecfeae0179f79a56043.jpg

505238881_IMG_2338copy.jpg.7a1ca20c54d8be4fcbe75fdcbc3f9017.jpg

Here in the UK we seem to have stuck with the plastic tube going down through the wing (our bugs might be bigger and hence don't fit in the 3mm tube!)

regarding the fitting of an iPad/android tablet I propose mounting mine off the roof in front of the P1 position on a sloping Ali plate (35mm at back zero at front and take a 5volt PSU off the roof breakers/switches, the holder is available on eBay for £17 (its a wall mount unit for a iPad mini)

Hi Mark, What a small world with you being close and knowing Roger. Your member address says Burpengary so I didn't realize you were at Caboolture with Roger. I've read your informative and helpful posts over the years and have ended up a Savvy owner and a plane that you observed regular. Say Hi to Roger when you see him next and that Savvy is performing well and much loved.

Thanks for the photos of the fuel vent modification. After my blockage episode, I have been fitting my fuel cap breathers to prevent any unwanted critters entry when plane is stationary. The caps are only removed right before take off. The caps are clear plastic tube with a in line motorcycle fuel filter so the tank can breath but nothing passing the filter.

HI Rendrag and greetings from Down Under. Your proposed Ipad sounds interesting and will appreciate a photo when done. Whats the light plane scene like in UK? You would have some scenic country to inspect, Can you fly to Ireland? Thanks for our contribution, Cheers Matt

Hi Matt

On mine you roll up wire gauze or insect screen mesh and just push it into the tubes..this stops the bugs getting in when stored in the hangar or when flying but lets the airflow in.

Yes I will tell Roger when I see him next. Would have been friday but off to Goondiwindi this weekend to see some model RC jets flying. They are taking over the airport for 3 days for a RC jet flyin so I am going to catchup with some mates who still fly them and I am driving another out who has flown up from Adelaide for the weekend and a guy from Victoria has bought his model in his trailer for him. It will be a big weekend..lots of jets :).. so will see Roger the following weekend