Just Landed.

Paul096

Hi and welcome Paul:welcome:

How far into aviation are you? Have you just started lessons, or further along?

What are you flying? Where are you flying?

RAA? GA? Other?

What got into it?

Pardon all my questions....

I am on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Flying nothing.

My brother is a pilot, and I thought that might be something I could in my dotage.

I would like to build my own aircraft.

I am on the bottom rung of the ladder.Flying nothing.

My brother is a pilot, and I thought that might be something I could in my dotage.

I would like to build my own aircraft.

I say, Go for it!

The most difficult step of the ladder of becoming a pilot, in my opinion, is the first one.... I suggest you find a local flying school, and book in for a trial introductory flight (TIF) in an aircraft type you can see yourself flying. I'd recommend going RAAus, as they are the most economical to both attain your permission to fly (Recreational Pilot Certificate RPC), purchasing/building and maintaining an aircraft.

TIF's count towards your logbook hours in your progression to your pilot certificate. You can chip away at your training, 1 hour lessons at a time, at a rate that your budget can afford. You need at least 25 hours, but more commonly you pass your flight test at around the 30 to 35 hr mark. Training costs anywhere up to about $250 per hour, but I found a school that does it under $200 per hour...

I went through all this in 2015, so if you have any questions, I may be able to help

There's a wealth of knowledge and advice about the various kits and builds on this site

Don't rush into anything. The more research you do the better the result .The big decision is, how many seats? One or two? Do some flying, and visit other aerodromes. Can be in a car. Look in hangars talk to people. You might get some rides. (Choose who you go with). Someone near you might be able to offer more details. Nev

• Like 1

Hi Paul - Welcome!

I had a quick look at the BK Sports plan Specs - my first thoughts are that the pilot weight isn't much - 113kg (fully clothed + gadgets etc) isn't much for what is now becoming the "average" Aussie male. I would avoid the hand-start option - dangerous and you need two people - one to swing and the other for brakes and throttle - bit of a downer if it is a single seat and he can't come with you. Check with RAA to see if it has been accepted.

My husband built a RANS and finished just before we married - I was intending to build a plane myself, once I got settled - I had one of those jobs that took me all over the place - 10 years later he still thinks it's the best. Not saying you should go that way, but the RANS S7 was easy to put together (like a big mechano set he said) and avoids the pitfalls of plans build, where you have to source materials, cut and construct (been there ... amazing the mistakes on some plans ... ) Engine reliability and life are also considerations. If you just want to do cheap local flights for fun, then the single seat Karasport is his choice. Ours can be dismantled (needs two people) and kept in an enclosed trailer.

Your best option is to talk to as many people and try as many aircraft as you can. Hope you find your dream bird.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Sue

• Helpful 1

Hi Paul, & welcome.

Have a look here for another home build alternative. You can download the plans for free - an excellent way to get to know an aeroplane. I built one & it is great fun to fly!

Good luck with your adventures in aviation.

Bruce