The value of Transponders

bushpilot

Bloody funny boys...hahahhahaha

OK being serious though............hard wired does not mean not thru a c/b

ADSB units that are proposed actually have a "on ground mode" so GAAP etc or even any aerodome, they show up being "on ground" so that shouold sort out both your comments/concerns.

If its always on you cant forget.............the new technology if it gets up...IS THE WAY of the future, and its low power consumption, like transponders for Gliders....so even the electrically challenged can get by.

J;)

Guest Flyer40

In the G1000 the transponder is always on, automatically starts with code 1200 and changes to mode A-C as soon as you leave the ground. The only potential for pilot error is to punch in an incorrect assigned code.

Anything that reduces errors and workload has to be a good thing. Having used this kit I can tell you it's oh so easy to get used to.

In the G1000 the transponder is always on, automatically starts with code 1200 and changes to mode A-C as soon as you leave the ground. The only potential for pilot error is to punch in an incorrect assigned code. Anything that reduces errors and workload has to be a good thing. Having used this kit I can tell you it's oh so easy to get used to.

The exchanges here have been real interesting guys - but this one cuts to the chase: Now that 'you all' have helped me make the decision to have one, I'm interested to know which transponders have what features - so as to make a decision on type. Easy is good.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris....not sure when you intend taking delivery of your aircraft, however be aware that should the introduction ADS-B become compulsory, you will eventually need a Mode S transponder (with extended squitter capability) depending of course where you want to fly your aircraft. From what has been published, I understand that CASA propose to subsidise the installation of these, so buying a Mode C transponder might not be such a good investment as there will be a lot secondhand Mode C units for sale I expect.

I purchased a new aircraft 17 months ago and had a Becker BXP6401 (Mode S) transponder installed by the factory. There are also some very nice Garmin Mode S units on the market now. (http://www.becker-avionics.com/ ) https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=152

Should you decide to buy a Mode S transponder, be sure to have the address module programmed by the factory......it will save you a lot of hassles later on.

Good luck.

Dave

Guest pelorus32
There are also some very nice Garmin Mode S units on the market now. (http://www.becker-avionics.com/ ) http://www.avionicswest.com/articles/gtx330.htmShould you decide to buy a Mode S transponder, be sure to have the address module programmed by the factory......it will save you a lot of hassles later on.

Good luck.

Dave

I stand to be corrected here but...there's a bell ringing in my head that says the the GTX330 is not compatible with the ADS-B standard proposed for Australia.

Please check this thoroughly prior to purchase and also please don't take my word for it - I''m away from the information on this at the moment.

Been wrong before...

Regards

Mike

I stand to be corrected here but...there's a bell ringing in my head that says the the GTX330 is not compatible with the ADS-B standard proposed for Australia.Please check this thoroughly prior to purchase and also please don't take my word for it - I''m away from the information on this at the moment.

Mike...yes I agree that extensive research is required prior to purchase. I am not familiar with the Garmin transponders and did not specifically mean the GTX330 although I believe the 330 conforms with European standards, but have heard good reports as to the Garmin reliability.

I personally only have experience with the Becker BXP6401 which as I mentioned has the extended squitter capability. (conforms with EASA ETSO-2C112a / FAA TSO-C112)

Chris did not mention a time frame with regard to delivery of his aircraft....but if it is well into the future, it may be worth waiting for the CASA subsidy.....but when and if that happens is anybody's guess!

Guest pelorus32

G'day Dave,

I'm also a big fan of the Garmins. I just remember exploring this a while ago and coming to the view that it wasn't compatible withe Australian standards. However I didn't explore it right to the end. As I understand it TIS is not part of the Australian picture either.

Regards

Mike