Moree approach procedures

motzartmerv

Assume you are flying VFR.......

It is a CTAF ® so a radio, normal CTAF procedures but I would carefully monitor the BNE CEN well out, listening for any RPT movements, and at about 20NM out check the AWIB, make your runway selection and fly a circuit or straight in following the normal rules.

Great aerodrome.

If you still need help, PM me. Have been ther many times.

J

I may be wrong about the CTAF ®.....for me I assume everywhere is, but thats a good point. I know it has RPT and as I would think that at least would have it being a CTAF®.

Could be wrong.

Either way......no special ops there for VFR's, and have a radio!

J

There actually isn't a separate "CTAF®" type of airport really. A CTAF is a CTAF. It isn't like the old CTAF vs MBZ/MTAF rules with different dimensions etc. Having ® shown after the frequency in ERSA just means a radio is mandatory. Procedures are the same.

I looked up my current ERSA effective 22nd Nov 2007 with the next issue to be effective on 13th march 2008.

According to it Moree is a plain CTAF with an AFRU on 126.7 megacycles.

So it may be used by a VFR pilot without a radio but if he has one it must be used.

If it were a CTAF® it could not be used by a VFR pilot without a radio.

I heard of a pilot test flying an aircraft after a major having a radio failure. So he landed on a farm airstrip (which he knew well) made a phone call to the aero club and asked for his arrival back at his home aerodrome without radio to be broadcast from the club radio at a prearranged time. It was an MBZ at the time.

For any additional information check the current NOTAMS for that aerodrome from Air Services.

Regards

Yenn, it might be a small point but a CTAF is just a CTAF, not an MBZ! MBZs had different dimensions, so saying they are the same might lead to confusion. Having ® after the frequency only means that you need a radio to operate at that CTAF.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tony Niovanni

In this day and age every one should be using a radio at every air port no excuses, as their are many to chose from and not expansive, and helps with the safety

aspect

Tony

C'mon Adam - situational awareness, thats what a radio gives you - (a big picture you can visualize but you don't have to "see")

someone rolling on 17,

someone over flying at 2500,

someone 10 miles to the east at 1500, inbound,

someone joining crosswind for 35,

all this, and a lot more could be happening as you taxi off to the run up point,

and, it it is the 21st century.

well..... that's my friendly opinion. ;)

regards

Yes Peter I do agree a radio does give you great situational awareness if used correctly. I am biased, I fly for a living and get stuck listening to the radio pretty much every time I go flying. This is great for work as its a busy area with a big mix of aircraft. On the other hand when I get out in the Thruster I love the fact that I have the wind in my hair the Rotax screaming away and thats it. Its nice to relax and enjoy the view. In saying that I fly at a resonably quiet airfield and I keep my eyes firmly open!

I am in no way saying radios are evil but I don't agree that everyone should have to have one! I believe the CTAF and CTAF® work well keeping the busy airports radio bound but allowing those fuddy duddys like me to still have the freedome to have a little bit of quiet time!

Adam.

That's true BigPete, a radio goes give situational awareness. The important thing is not to rely too much on it though as there may still be aircraft in the circuit with no radio, or on the wrong frequency etc. A radio is a good idea but everyone still needs to look out!