RC Variometer

winsor68

This arrived in the post today...only $35 dollars delivered. I remember 30ish years ago dreaming about this sort of technology. I never thought I would see the day. The future has truly arrived and I am in it.

23905758_10213744161865974_6214334318957348168_n.jpg?oh=89cfe51fa5660ac8a206538e22899c4f&oe=5AD44417

• More 1

Actually, 30ish years ago, a mate and I bought a Dick Smith FM radio 'bug' kit, little microphone with a weak FM transmitter.

We used Carl Goldberg Nyrods to the rudder and elevator in a Bridi 'SoarBirdi', so we could seal the whole rear fuselage.

We then stuck a capillary tube into the rear section and placed the bug microphone in front of the tube.

The plan was to have a small transistor radio in our pocket and listen to the sound of the air coming out of the rear fuse 'capacitance', blowing on the mike.

If we could hear it roaring, we were in lift.

Problem was, the overall wind noise around the aircraft, the twangy noises from the rubber bands and the buzzing noise of the servos made it near impossible to tell what was going on.

We did hear a magpie attack and peck the nose on one flight though.

Also the other glider pilots were not real happy with our arrangement.

• Like 1

Of course...you don't need a variometer to find and work lift...but it will be good to be able to feel it out more.

This video shows my flying buddy Steve launching his Bird Of Time...my BoT is already up there...then the two of us working some lift...until Steve loses radio signal for 20 seconds or so leading to a high speed spiral and then wing fold when control is returned suddenly... enjoy.