Cows

Like many of us, I operate out of a paddock.

This paddock is normally home to a herd of Black Angus.

This leads to 2 problems:

A: Cows**t sprayed underneath on every t/o and landing,

B: I can't leave the plane there overnight for fear of it being eaten; it is part fabric.

Does anyone know of any way do discourage cows from eating aeroplanes, and does anyone know if just roughly scraping the decorations off the plane has any detrimental effects? I am not overly concerned from a looks point of view.

Any ideas?

Guest pelorus32

Portable electric fence unit, some pickets and some electric fence wire. That's the easy part.

Cowsh*t is very corrosive. This isn't a cosmetic issue, it's an issue of the health of your a/c. It's preferable that you don't get it on your a/c but failing that it needs to be properly washed off.

Don't ask me how I know....

Mike

Guest Fred Bear

Bigglesworth, the portable electric fence is the go mate. I had problems when flying my Thruster of the sh@! and a different kind and that was the young steers 'mounting' my aircraft. Cost a bit in glass at one point and that was the only way I could stop it. Electric fencing around your strip too.

why do cows decide to wander on to strip to eat the grass on the strip when they have been down the other end of the padock all morning do my run up you can bet on them having a pooh and standing in the middle of the strip just before lift of.

wash of asap neil

I think that sheep make better airstrip companions since their poop tends to be less likely to spray and they do tend to get out of your way and depart the strip, unlike a cow which will just look and sneer, like, "I was here first", or "you want me to move? Make me!"

Guest RogerRammedJet

"why do cows decide to wander on to strip to eat the grass on the strip when they have been down the other end of the padock all morning do my run up you can bet on them having a pooh and standing in the middle of the strip just before lift of"

Cause cows are smart and curious - and sheep are dumb as dog sh*t!

Rog

reminds me of the 'Far Side" comic. A herd of cows are standing on their hind legs having a conversation with the cows on the other side of the fence, then one yells , "CAR". And they drop down on all four legs and start eating grass.

Yes, easy to think about Dana Lyons' song "cows with guns"

it it almost possible... watch out.

I hosed the offending material off, and found that while is is sealed from the top, a pressure cleaner from the bottom is a different matter. D*mn.

But as to the other part of my question; do cows still lick the fabric of planes if it is doped and painted fabric? and if they do, it there anything I could do to prevent it if a few strays get through the fence. Such as spray it with pepper spray.

or wire it to the electric fence, he he he,,,, along comes dog to pollute my wheels,,,,, yelp yelp yelp ;)

Guest pelorus32

It's not just the licking that does it - although that's bad enough. Cows also love to rub on things like aircraft. A 500kg cow can do a bucketload of damage whilst lost in the ecstasy of a good scratch!

Cows and airplanes don't mix.

Mike

I know someone who, a number of years ago, had to put his aircraft down in a paddock due to a lack of fuel and bad weather. The paddock was a little boggy and he ended up doing a little bit of damage when he came down so straight away, he went to a farmhouse and made a few phone calls.....one of them to the insurance company. Among the first few questions they asked him were 'is the aircraft in a paddock? are there any cows in the paddock?' and 'have you erected a fence around it?', the answers to which where yes, yes and no. By the time he got back to the aircraft from the farmhouse he was ringing from there were cows everywhere rubbing up against the aircraft and doing about $4500 damage to it. The insurance company advised him to keep a portable electric fence in the aircraft at all times ...... not the sort of thing I would've thought of.

Bob

it may be funjoking about this but this may be a solution to a expensive problem. i have found that chilli/capsicum powder mixed with water and simply sprayed on will help. it works stopping cockatoos eating the timber on my house. (added to the paint) or take your dog flying with you.

when i rescued my Lazair it had cow crap all over it. i found the best way to not do any more damage was to soak a towel in water then lay it over the offending material. it will soften and is easy to remove, bit hard for the undersides but thems the pats.

it may be funjoking about this but this may be a solution to a expensive problem. i have found that chilli/capsicum powder mixed with water and simply sprayed on will help. it works stopping cockatoos eating the timber on my house. (added to the paint) or take your dog flying with you.when i rescued my Lazair it had cow crap all over it. i found the best way to not do any more damage was to soak a towel in water then lay it over the offending material. it will soften and is easy to remove, bit hard for the undersides but thems the pats.

Our club has a sheet of cancrete rio which we drag behind the old ute up and down the strip, only needs a few runs and you have broken up the stuff then it dries very quickly. works a treat.

Richard G