Wallowing around from interest

Guest nicephotog

Guest nicephotog

Jack of all trades, some electrical, some welding, some maths.

Interested why there are only around 30,000 PPL holders in the worst (most deadly) environment on earth , if not, then ranks number one along with other(s)

The only thing i have ever had as association to aviation is a job interview for an aircraft mechanical apprentice and the idea of putting a "VOR receiver + instrument" in my car because i lived in outback Australia in the mid eighties, so i could plot intersects from two VOR stations.

Also a self trained computer programmer.

Guest nicephotog

VHF is not that bad through undulating terrain (i do appreciate your point) and certainly not in the outback where it is flat.

It never was done purely because of cost and the statement by the sales people back to me that they were unsure what the final effect would be.

If it's any consolation it near did get bought and installed, it was a hard decision that pulled both ways but resulted in common sense of not continuing the idea because of cost and how young i was.

Guest nicephotog

That was mid 1980's (just a great thought because RFDS was little use if you do not know where you are) , would have been north south and west of my location (quite flat), but probably too violent bumping to place in a road vehicle.

Has always had me stumped why they never developed that for cars along with a black and white (monochrome) LCD monitor by the eighties, it is not as though 90% of the country didn't need such at any one moment for road vehicles, but somehow it reaches 30 years later and the first map and display sets of GPS are using satellites.

VOR for ground level vehicles and the computing circuits would not need to be much by complexity to translate onto a monochrome map with stored town and city locations to translate onto the LCD with individual frequencies, Not much different to GPS just missing the real services of the mapping having roads smaller than their main connectors.

In short i find it insane when people break down with a GPS in their vehicle know where they are but if they don't have CDMA or reach a phone tower they're stuffed !

It's like having the Ambulance but not medics and driver. Or a driver-less ambulance you need to put yourself into and tell it where you want to go to, however you may not be in any condition when it arrives to respond at point blank !

Guest nicephotog
I always thought (pre GPS) that having an ADF & DME (even though DME stations were scarce in western Qld) was almost like magic. You now have the equivalent of VOR & DME (plus more) ANYWHERE you choose to go now.

Then what do you make of this for "uncontrolled airspace" (move the altitude control to 8000ft to exclude airspace overlays above)

AirCheck | Australian Airspace & Flight Display