Canadian Pilot vacationing to Australia

Hi Alex, if you get to Bendigo Victoria, the best part of this southern land, look me up. Just had a couple of Albertans for a visit, I do enjoy landing on skis in your neck of the woods.

Sounds like a good trip you have planned, If you are around the mackay area, I'll show you around if you are keen

hey PP, make sure you take advantage of offers like this from Hongie, they are truly Gold - some areas in NE Queensland (around Mackay, for instance) have a 'fascinating' mix of airspace, weather and terrain 'problems' - airspace won't be a problem for you and that is a very good thing. We have an old saying here in Oz - "mountains hide in clouds" - I suppose that's the same the world over really...One concept you might consider is doing what many visitors to Oz do - they buy a 'vehicle', use it in Oz at their leisure, then sell it when it's time to go home. Undoubtedly there are a number of negatives with the concept. I used to work for a business that sold off-road motorcycles to tourists and then agreed to buy them back at a set price as long as the vehicle was within the set of parameters agreed upon. Some of these (well fitted out) bikes had word of mouth bookings to go to a new rider a week after they got back.

With the guvment of this country hell bent on destroying aviation in this country you might even find a real nice little 150 for sale here - of course, getting it sold to recoup your outlay may be 'problematic' - there are other options too - you could leave it in the safe hands of a flying school on lease until it was sold, or you could use word of mouth at home to make it 'available' for hire in Oz. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know you are the go to man for pilots wanting to fly in Oz - because you know how to do it! As in, talk to me, for a fee I will arrange all the paperwork, flights to/from Oz, nice little 150 waiting for you, all done and dusted and you make a few bucks doing it.

Now the guys on this forum will tell you why none of the above can happen, but you never know - it might just work out for you. Cheers, and make sure you let me know when you are landing at Boonah YBOA.

Boleropilot

gbshaw8 (insert the usual email @ sign) bigpond.com will get me. Have C172M and PA 28 Cherokee available for hire from Dalby and Roma Qld. April to October are very good for flying in Au. Once you have Au PPL and ASIC card you will be OK. Subscribe to Ausrunways which has all the charts you need and ERSA airfield details you need. Roma has daily RPT flights with Qantas Link. We have commercial pilot on staff who could meet you at Archerfield. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

Guest Guest

Alex it will be easier if we ALL came over there, you stay put as we want to spare you the nightmare as is the Australian regulator who works hard at keeping GA on the ground!

hey PP, make sure you take advantage of offers like this from Hongie, they are truly Gold - some areas in NE Queensland (around Mackay, for instance) have a 'fascinating' mix of airspace, weather and terrain 'problems' - airspace won't be a problem for you and that is a very good thing. We have an old saying here in Oz - "mountains hide in clouds" - I suppose that's the same the world over really...One concept you might consider is doing what many visitors to Oz do - they buy a 'vehicle', use it in Oz at their leisure, then sell it when it's time to go home. Undoubtedly there are a number of negatives with the concept. I used to work for a business that sold off-road motorcycles to tourists and then agreed to buy them back at a set price as long as the vehicle was within the set of parameters agreed upon. Some of these (well fitted out) bikes had word of mouth bookings to go to a new rider a week after they got back.

With the guvment of this country hell bent on destroying aviation in this country you might even find a real nice little 150 for sale here - of course, getting it sold to recoup your outlay may be 'problematic' - there are other options too - you could leave it in the safe hands of a flying school on lease until it was sold, or you could use word of mouth at home to make it 'available' for hire in Oz. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know you are the go to man for pilots wanting to fly in Oz - because you know how to do it! As in, talk to me, for a fee I will arrange all the paperwork, flights to/from Oz, nice little 150 waiting for you, all done and dusted and you make a few bucks doing it.

Now the guys on this forum will tell you why none of the above can happen, but you never know - it might just work out for you. Cheers, and make sure you let me know when you are landing at Boonah YBOA.

Boleropilot

sorry, in case you aren't aware, the RAAus licence does not allow flight through controlled airspace - you need a real (GA) licence for that.....

Thanks for all the tips! As for your last point, however, I'm not getting an RAAus, I'm getting a CoV which allows me to exercise the privileges of my Canadian PPL. I'm pretty sure that includes flight through controlled airspace in Australia. I will, however, be doing my due diligence and studying what I need to study to make sure I'm prepared before flying there.