Adelaide Flight Training

Hey All,

First Post! I've gotten into a wormhole looking at Private Pilot's License Info and small planes, particularly the Jabiru class, and was wondering if there are any suggestions for good flight schools and anything that i should watch out for or things that might make obtaining a license easier. I super new at all this and will be having a few trial flights in May. Any suggesti

Hey All,First Post! I've gotten into a wormhole looking at Private Pilot's License Info and small planes, particularly the Jabiru class, and was wondering if there are any suggestions for good flight schools and anything that i should watch out for or things that might make obtaining a license easier. I super new at all this and will be having a few trial flights in May. Any suggesti

Where do you live and what do you want to do? If in Adelaide and out north, and you just want to fly for fun, look at the Adelaide Soaring Club at Gawler, way cheaper than parafield and run by a club. If you want to fly bigger aircraft and say 4 people at a time, you should look GA. But you can always start out recreational aviation and transfer over later.

Hey scre80, cheers for your reply. I’m actually based on kangaroo island, so whatever I do, I’m going to have to travel. I do wish eventually to maybe cart 4 passengers but optimally just me and my partner to start. You referenced GA, in your post, what’s that? With recreational, there are restrictions like distance flown from airfield and so forth yeah?

Hey scre80, cheers for your reply. I’m actually based on kangaroo island, so whatever I do, I’m going to have to travel. I do wish eventually to maybe cart 4 passengers but optimally just me and my partner to start. You referenced GA, in your post, what’s that? With recreational, there are restrictions like distance flown from airfield and so forth yeah?

There is restriction on either General Aviation (GA) or recreational aviation for distance until you have your navigation endorsement. Main difference is GA has ability to fly into controlled airspace, take more than 2 pax, fly heavier aircraft and aerobatics. I am a recreational pilot and have no issues going between KI and Gawler, just go to go via mt barker (Usually cheaper to learn than GA too)

Awesome. Cheers for the info. So putting two and two together, a rec license with a nav endorsement will get me what I need. Do you head to my Barker because that keeps you out of controlled airspace? Would the Jabiru j200 aircraft be ok under the rec license?

Awesome. Cheers for the info. So putting two and two together' date=' a rec license [b']with [/b]a nav endorsement will get me what I need. Do you head to my Barker because that keeps you out of controlled airspace? Would the Jabiru j200 aircraft be ok under the rec license?

J200 or 230 or j170 or many other aircraft, yes all good. With nav, I can fly most places. Just not into Adelaide airport or parafield. Rest I can outside controlled airspace. Issue you will have on KI is learning to fly. Your only option is to come to mainland. Depending how much $$ you have!! Shop around, worth going to a few places see what works for you. Main ones are at aldinga, goolwa, Murray bridge and gawler which I am part of. If you want to come out to gawler, let me know, I can show you around if I can be there at time. Depends on work and family (gawler is run my volunteer instructors as part of club)

G'day Mike. First of all, welcome to the forum and the world of aviation.

Before you get ahead of yourself, take that TIF. Doesn't matter what type of aircraft, the smaller the better. Why? because it's not at all like flying in a commercial tin can and you might not like it, although I doubt it. Your nearest airfield for that would be Aldinga. Check out Adelaide Biplanes: Adelaide Biplanes - Home. Further afield is Murray Bridge which has 2 flight schools and a beautiful and safe training area.(whilst learning it's nice to have a load of flat paddocks to land in if an emergency happens). I can recommend www.rpa.net.au as I learnt there. Talk to James Hubbard, owner and CFI. Different schools offer different aircraft and of course, different prices. Do your research in that area. I'm guessing, but, say you're a slow learner, you will get your RAA certificate for about $10000. For GA license, it will cost almost double. I might be a bit out, but these days, it ain't cheap. Make sure you understand the differences between to two categories. Taking the cheaper option (RAA) first, and converting to GA later, as and when money is available is another option open to you.

Which ever way you choose to go, enjoy, have fun, and stay safe.

Doug

G'day Mike. First of all' date=' welcome to the forum and the world of aviation.Before you get ahead of yourself, take that TIF. Doesn't matter what type of aircraft, the smaller the better. Why? because it's not at all like flying in a commercial tin can and you might not like it, although I doubt it. Your nearest airfield for that would be Aldinga. Check out Adelaide Biplanes: Adelaide Biplanes - Home. Further afield is Murray Bridge which has 2 flight schools and a beautiful and safe training area.(whilst learning it's nice to have a load of flat paddocks to land in if an emergency happens). I can recommend www.rpa.net.au as I learnt there. Talk to James Hubbard, owner and CFI. Different schools offer different aircraft and of course, different prices. Do your research in that area. I'm guessing, but, say you're a slow learner, you will get your RAA certificate for about $10000. For GA license, it will cost almost double. I might be a bit out, but these days, it ain't cheap. Make sure you understand the differences between to two categories. Taking the cheaper option (RAA) first, and converting to GA later, as and when money is available is another option open to you.Which ever way you choose to go, enjoy, have fun, and stay safe.

Doug

I learnt at Adelaide Soaring Club, great instructors and club atmosphere. Cost me around $3000 to get to certificate stage, and then around another $2000 for my Navs. Everyone is different. Lots of choice out there, yes take a TIF, maybe at a few places see what works for you. GA will cost at least double, maybe more depending how far you go.

Hi Mike,

RAA is a great place to start man! Once you get your Nav Endorsement (not very expensive) you can pretty much fly the country (no controlled airspace). I just took the mrs up from south NSW to Mudgee and back for a quick trip!

It will get you started! The birds are cheaper to hire, and the cost to get certified is lower than GA. Then, after you are happy and flying, you can then step up to either RPL or PPL with CASA etc to do more things. :)

Good luck man and keep us posted. My buddy is learning to fly down your way, I will ask where he is and what his experiences are like.

Cheers

J