Airports close to Hobart for Rec Aus aircraft

Hi all,

Some hangar discussion today about flying into Hobart and options nearby for Rec Aus aircraft 

Cambridge Airport immediately next to Hobart is an option, but it’s a very busy airport and limited access due to Hobart airspace etc.

Are there any suitable airports nearby - Tasmanian pilots may know options? 

Cheers 

Hi Bernie,

There's a grass strip at Sandfly (20 min south of Hobart).  5 or 6 aircraft there including a Victa Airtourer, some species of old Cessna and some rag & tube types.  Not sure what the setup is as far as hangar fees, space available etc, but will be finding out in the next couple of years when I get close to finishing the 701 - it's only 5 km from my house.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sandfly+Airport,+Sandfly+TAS/@-42.9824531,147.2080356,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0xaa6e787644ba4027:0x61e66c0696739994!8m2!3d-42.982738!4d147.210029

Marty,

thanks for the the heads up. I’m in your area at Kingston Beach next week. I’ll drive down and walk the strip. That sounds good as a few Rec Au’s guys were thinking of flying in. I said I’d check it out for them.

bernie 

Marty,thanks for the the heads up. I’m in your area at Kingston Beach next week. I’ll drive down and walk the strip. That sounds good as a few Rec Au’s guys were thinking of flying in. I said I’d check it out for them.

bernie 

Hi Bernie,

It's private property so you may need to contact someone first.  I've driven in (once) on a Saturday about 8 years ago and had a chat with Stan Tilley, who's well known for his airshow work.  He's the owner of the Victa.  I don't know anyone else who flies there.  They probably won't mind if you drive up and say g'day, they were friendly enough when I did it.

As you drive down the Huon Highway towards Huonville, the driveway is on the left about halfway down the incline before Sandfly.  The gate has the sign "Lee Wave" and a Hazchem sign on it.

Best of luck!

From OzRunways YSFY SANDFLY

Stan Tilley

9 Acushla Court

Sandy Bay TAS 705

P: 03 6225 2302: 04 2812 5819.

E: [email protected]

Coordinates

42° 58.95'S 147° 12.64'E / -42.982563, 147.210606

State

TAS

Timezone

Magvar

Thanks guys for this.

I’m in Kingston for a week from Thursday and said I’ll check the strip for the boys here at Lethbridge Airpark.

I have an RV8 myself and may see if I can get in - length and grass condition?

Thanks again for the reply and the contacts.

Safe flying.

Bernie