New member here from the U.S.

DickRake

I stumbled on to this site looking for Taylor Monoplane info. Looks like a good place to spend some time. I'm currently flying a Hirth powered Mini-max that I built 24 years ago. I have a 1942 Luscombe 8D that needs to be restored but I keep getting the hots to build another wood homebuilt and not sure I'll live long enough to do both. I also like to putter with models.

• Like 3

A warm welcome, Dick. Good to see you over here from the Buzzards!Bruce

I thought you might hang out here Bruce. How about Arthur ? I've been meaning to ask you what kind of 2 stroke oil are you using? I'm thinking of switching to a synthetic.

Welcome here Dick. Hope you get moving with your projects. You never will live long enough to do them all,. so set a priority. Nev

Nev, I'll be ok as I also have plans to live to be a 100 years old and I'm only 74 now.

I thought you might hang out here Bruce. How about Arthur ? I've been meaning to ask you what kind of 2 stroke oil are you using? I'm thinking of switching to a synthetic.

Of course, it's my home forum! It's a great group, lots of very knowledgeable, helpful people, and usually very well behaved 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif No, I haven't seen Arthur here.

Leon Massa, who made the MZ engine I use, reckons to use Castrol TTS and nothing else. He says when rebuilding engines, those who've only used TTS show almost no carbon deposits & very little wear. So that's the oil I use (at 50:1).

Of course, amongst 2-strokers, the 'which oil to use' discussion is one which often kicks off long and sometimes heated arguments. It seems everyone has a preference: I just feel it makes sense to go with the engine builder's experience.

Cheers

Bruce

Of course, it's my home forum! It's a great group, lots of very knowledgeable, helpful people, and usually very well behaved 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif No, I haven't seen Arthur here.Leon Massa, who made the MZ engine I use, reckons to use Castrol TTS and nothing else. He says when rebuilding engines, those who've only used TTS show almost no carbon deposits & very little wear. So that's the oil I use (at 50:1).

Of course, amongst 2-strokers, the 'which oil to use' discussion is one which often kicks off long and sometimes heated arguments. It seems everyone has a preference: I just feel it makes sense to go with the engine builder's experience.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for the info on the oil. I had already bought a qt of the Castrol and mixed some of it 50/50 with my "Bluemax" to see if it would mix ok. It's been 7 months now and since I made my sample mix and it looks just fine. I was thinking of using it 50/50 but I might just go 100% when I switch.

All certified aero four stroke oils are "compatable" supposedly though you cant mix synthetic with mineral without checking and I wouldn't do it.

. With the variety of two stroke oils about, practically none of which state they are certified 2s aero oils. I wouldn't recommend mixing them if you can avoid it.... As to whether a articular engine builder knows much or feels it in his water is debatable . One can have a view or preference based on a lot of things.. He MAY indeed be an expert on two stoke oils Lack of carbon in the ring grooves is a good sign though. The greatest way to wreck your engine is run it lean, or use stale fuel, wrong heat range plug or overprop it. or forget to mix any oil in the fuel.. Aircooled motors run higher temp oils but the Rotax liquid cooled motor recommends the high temp oils. also. Don't use the TCW3 outboard oils. The reason is how the additives work. Piston ring land temps are the deciding factor apparently.. Nev

• Like 1

I'm currently flying a Hirth powered Mini-max .

Hi Dick, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif....I`ve just had a look at the range of Hirth engines, which one are you using, please?

Frank.

Hi Dick, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif....I`ve just had a look at the range of Hirth engines, which one are you using, please?Frank.

Hi Frank, I'm using an old 2704 which was available in 1999 when I bought mine. The 2704 was replaced by the 3202. Both engines get the rated hp at relatively low rpm's. the 2704 is 50 hp at 5300 and the 3202 is 55 at 5500.

Dick

Hi Frank, I'm using an old 2704

Thank you!... I`m on my 6th Rotax, 4, 582 grey head and the second 503! I`m currently running a 503 DCDI with the Etype box, turning a 60 inch Ivo ground adjustable prop...I`m thinking ahead to when I`ll need to replace my 503 and the Hirth 3202 certainly looks appealing...Cheers