My forced landings need work!

Astroguy

Not experienced, having only recently passed my NPPL(M) in the UK, flying a C42. But this was drilled into me by my instructor. During my test when the examiner called engine failure, I indeed found myself too long (under 1st stage flaps). Did my best to sideslip with 2nd stage flaps, but would probably have not been able to stop before hitting the fence at the end of the field (estimating of course - we didn't actually land). I was upset with myself because I'd been nailing the forced landing approaches for a long time before the test. But after the end of the test, the examiner said that he liked how I kept working the situation, scrubbed a lot of height with the slip, and said we would have hit the fence but slowly, and that was much better than coming up short. I passed. Following his advice, I am never going to stop practicing forced landings.

Right you are. I was talking to a pilot today about my forced Landings. After three more today one being long one being short and one being perfect. Still have to nail this part but he said to just keep doing it over and over until a force Landing feels normal. This sounds like good advice. The first time you're in the practice Zone solo and you have to cut the throttle to idle... It certainly does not feel normal but over time I can feel that normal is creeping in and hopefully better judgement. Thanks for the great response

Similar practice is no brakes. I recently discovered the brakes did not pump up good on downwind; so I decided to land without using the brakes. Found with prop turning at idle just maintained the fast roll. Airfield is 700 meters and sealed. After using about 1/2 the length and not seeing the roll speed decay, resisted using brake and switched off engine it slowed then. Restarted and taxied back to the hangar and used brakes to stop. It was a good experience as if ever I loose brakes completely I'll stop engine as soon as on the ground. Cheers

• Like 1

One of my ( Brilliant ) Aussie instructors forced me to make all landings at the base airfield by pulling the engine back to idle just before entering the circuit, so that EVERY approach, from the training area was a NON powered practice forced landing. . .( He Slapped my wrist once on downwind, for forgetting carby heat ! ) but leaving the engine available if I made a BooBoo. . . so that every landing was a glide approach. I found this training and practice VERY valuable in later life. . . .

Eg,. engine spluttered and died on late downwind at Blackpool Airport ( UK ) in a C-210, I had already lowered the gear ( thank you God. . . No 105 pumps of the emergency manual gear handle needed whilst trying to fly it at the same time ) I made a PAN call,. . ( Mayday was not really appropriate here, in the circuit at a large airfield which I could hardly miss. . ) I was able to land and use the inertia to turn off the huge runway so that I didn't hold up the RPTs. . . (737 / 757s ) ( *EDIT - I was given Mild Bollocking by ATC for NOT using the 'Mayday' call. )

Thank you again Alan Baskett. ( Berwick Vic. 1974 ) I Love you Sir.

• Like 1

It's really interesting how each teacher has a little 'signature' move .... it really makes a long lasting impact eh? I hope to become much more proficient in the next clump of hours as I"m not there yet, with only 50% of my forced landing looking reasonable and safe.

Thanks for the contact from Australia!

• Like 1