CASA September regulatory wrap-up

Admin

September regulatory wrap-up

Have you missed the following updates published on our website last month?

Instruments

New fatigue transition dates

As part of our response to the independent review of the fatigue rules, we have announced new transition dates. High capacity regular public transport operators are required to transition to CAO 48.1 by 30 September 2019 and all other air operators by 26 March 2020. The deadline for operators to transition by 31 October 2018 no longer applies. View the amendment instrument on the Federal Register of Legislation website.

Drug and alcohol management plans

We published a legislative instrument with two exemptions that make it easier for organisations with a drug and alcohol management plan (DAMP) to contract other DAMP organisations or emergency services organisations when required. View the instrument on the CASA website.

Part 61 Manual of Standards updated

The Part 61 Manual of Standards (MOS) master document has been updated so that the latest changes are now in one place. View the latest MOS on the Federal Register of Legislation website.

Exemptions

CAR 234 Fuel requirements exemption

Existing AOC and Part 141 certificate holders have more time to comply with the new fuel requirements under a new exemption.

You will now have until 28 February 2019 to comply with the requirements of the CAR 234 amendment and CASA Instrument 29/18 (the Fuel Instrument).

Private pilots are required to comply with the new rules from 8 November 2018. Guidance material is available on the CASA website.

Consultations

Proposed Part 101 Drones Manual of Standards

We're seeking public feedback on new draft rules for commercial or professional drone operations. Visit the Consultation Hub to provide your feedback by 18 November 2018.

Part 149 Manual of Standards

We have opened consultation on the Part 149 Manual of Standards (MOS) for approved self-administering aviation organisations (ASAOs). You can view the draft Part 149 MOS and provide your feedback in the Consultation Hub until 21 October 2018.

Amendments to the Part 66 Manual of Standards

We published a summary of feedback to our consultation on minor changes to the Part 66 Manual of Standards (MOS) on the Consultation Hub.

Guidance material

Fatigue guidance material

We have updated the fatigue operations manual supplement templates associated with CAAP 48-1 to reflect new transition dates and correct some editorial errors. Additional changes will be developed to support forthcoming amendments to the rules. View the guidance materials on the CASA website.

Approved maintenance training organisations

The advisory circular for approved Part 147 training organisations has been updated to add new organisations, remove expired organisations and make minor amendments to course information. View AC 147-02v5.14 on the CASA website.

Announcements

Cheaper ADS-B on the way

We have listened to the aviation community and will be developing rule changes aimed at making it cheaper and easier for automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast (ADS-B) technology to be voluntarily fitted to visual flight rules aircraft. More information is in the media release.

CASA response to independent fatigue review

We have published a report outlining our response to the independent review of the fatigue rules. Following extensive public consultation, CASA has accepted 21 of the 24 review recommendations. Read the report and find out more about our plan for responding to the review recommendations on our website.

Licensing regulations transition complete

The four-year transition period for the new flight crew licensing and training regulations was completed at the end of August 2018 with 242 flying training organisations approved during the transition period. See CASA Briefing for more information.

No mention of the raio frequency for strips not on the charts.

I just hope nobody gets killed, but it has gone from bad to worse

Last weekend we had a new flier at Rods Bay. I told him that we should use are frequency as the strip was not on the charts. He pointed out that it is now on the charts and maybe he is correct.

If you pick on the spot where Rods Bay is on Avplan or OzRunways, it will come up with YIVG for Iveragh, but there is no blue circle on the charts and I cannot find YIVG on the PC chart. So maybe it is on the charts, but you will not see it if you fly over. I have been badgering CASA to make a ruling and all I get id that it is coming soon. I really fail to see why CASA changed what we used to do, which was use CTAF 126.7 and insisted on using area, which most people refuse to do. They have just changed a safe method to one that is unsafe. Trying to phone them seems to be useless, they have nobody available to answer the phone.

Now we have some using area and some using CTAF, both insisting they are correct. That is dangerous and I am only glad that I fly planes with great visibility and fast enough to be fairly safe from attack from the rear.

• Like 2