LSA weight to increase to 3,600 pounds, another ADS-B rebate in the works

GA News

At the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Regional Fly-In in Carbondale, Illinois, Oct. 6, it was revealed that the FAA will start the rulemaking process in January 2019 to increase the weight of light-sport aircraft from 1,320 pounds to 3,600 pounds.

According to Jack Pelton, chairman and CEO of the Experimental Aircraft Association, the FAA will publish a notice of proposed rulemaking on Jan. 19, 2019, for the weight increase.

“That will allow you to fly in a 172, have four seats in the airplane, and fly 150 mph,” said Pelton, who also anticipates a rule change that would allow professional builders to build experimental amateur-built aircraft.

Cessna-Skyhawk.jpg

Cessna 172 Skyhawk. (Photo courtesy Cessna)

“Over the past two years, AOPA has been working with the FAA, ASTM International Light-Sport committee, and other general aviation organizations to improve and advance light-sport aircraft, including increasing the weight limit and incorporate new technologies like electric propulsion,” said AOPA President Mark Baker. “The FAA has indicated it is on track to publish a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in early 2019 which will include many of the suggestions for improvement. The rule will be a major step in making new, innovative aircraft accessible to pilots, by removing prescriptive barriers that are limiting aircraft designers, the flight training industry, and the strength of the pilot population.”

I'm not moving to the USA. I seriously considered it in the 70's. (Oregon). I have USA contacts moving here. Don't forget LSA was a USA concept that I've consistently condemned as being a "non decision", decision.. A useless stop gap attempt to get some European designs onto the US market. The Piper and Cessna attempt were not successful. The low weight made the Skycatcher unviable and structurally compromised. Nev

I'm not moving to the USA. I seriously considered it in the 70's. (Oregon). I have USA contacts moving here. Don't forget LSA was a USA concept that I've consistently condemned as being a "non decision", decision.. A useless stop gap attempt to get some European designs onto the US market. The Piper and Cessna attempt were not successful. The low weight made the Skycatcher unviable and structurally compromised. Nev

The Jabiru 230 is a success compared to the Sportscruiser and the Skycatcher ! Strong, fast and reliable !

• Like 1

I don't disagree with that to a point. The euro designs are expensive sophisticated light quiet and fast but not as easy to live with as a Jabiru. The six cylinder Jab motor is smooth and sounds like an aeroplane should. Nev