October regulatory wrap-up

Admin

October regulatory wrap-up

Have you missed the following updates published on our website last month?

Consultations

Frequency use a low level in Class G airspace

We have published the Summary of Consultation detailing the feedback and our response to the frequency use in Class G airspace public consultation. An education campaign will be rolled out to address key issues raised in the consultation.

Proposed policy for maintenance of limited category aircraft (Subpart 132.M)

The Summary of Consultation on the proposed policy for maintenance of limited category aircraft (Subpart 132.M) has been published. Overall, respondents have strongly supported the proposed Subpart 132.M of CASR. A draft of the legislation will be published for further comment prior to finalisation.

New draft drone rules

Public consultation on new draft rules for commercial or professional drone operations closes on 18 November 2018. The proposed rules cover a range of issues including training, extended visual line of sight operations, recordkeeping and notification requirements and operations in controlled airspace.

Passenger Safety Information guidelines

In October, we consulted on a new version of Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) 253-02 - Passenger safety information: Guidelines on content and standard of safety information to be provided to passengers by aircraft operators. Consultation has now closed, but you can still view the new draft CAAP on the Consultation Hub.

Proposed changes to general aviation maintenance regulations

Consultation on the proposal to develop new GA maintenance regulations modelled on those in place in the United States is imminent. We have also published the Summary of Consultation detailing feedback from the first round of consultation that closed in August 2018.

Announcements

New minimum fuel rules

New fuel rules come into force on 8 November 2018 for all pilots and operators – except those able to operate under a recent exemption. These are AOC and Part 141 certificate holders with a certificate in force as of 7 November 2018, who must comply by 28 February 2019. Visit the CASA website.

Instruments

Revised CAO 20.91 instrument

Changes to the CAO 20.91 instrument have been made and came into force on 2 November. Operators who validate Required Navigation Performance Authorisation Required (RNP AR) procedures can take advantage of revised data validation requirements. It removes the need for exemptions for individual operators, including exemptions that expired on 30 September 2018.

Guidance material

Minor amendments to RPT SMS

We have published a revised CAAP SMS-01 v1.1 - Safety management systems for regular public transport operations. It includes minor amendments to accurately reflect CASA’s formally endorsed definition of ‘Just Culture’.

The frequency to use in class G airspace seems sensible to me, but as it is working at the moment it is still not safe.

I use Avplan electronic charts and others also use Oz Runways. We have to have ALAs switched on to see airstrips which are on the paper charts.

That means that if ALAs are not switched on those of us using electronic charts will not know of the strip and could go charging through the circuit, completely unaware of its existence and on a different radio frequency. Not the best safety outcome in my opinion.

The other thing that pisses me of is that my local strip, Rodds Bay, has suddenly appeared as an ALA, called Iveragh, YIVG. I wonder how that is going to be pronounced by pilots flying nearby