Travel Suggestions

Admin

I have to go over to Italy and France in the coming weeks and as I have never done a trip like this before I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I need to book the cheapest airfare possible, travel between the two countries etc. I will only need to stay a couple of days in each place.

I also don't know yet but I may also need to go to Slovakia but unsure at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

Guest pelorus32

G'day Ian,

Last year I used the online travel sites - travelocity, zuji etc as a starting point. Also if you have any QF frequent flyer points you could do at least one way on those, or alternatively give yourself a business class upgrade for one leg. I ended up on a very cheap trip flying MLB-HK-Roma Fiumicino using QF to HK and using points for Business class both ways for that leg and then cattle class on CX both ways for the Rome-HK leg.

Another thought is to be flexible as to where you fly into - avoid at all costs LHR but for instance my wife used Swissair to Zurich and then a local flight to Rome - cheaper than a direct to Rome. Also you have the choice of flying into a hub like Frankfurt and then using the Eurostar trains as a cheap, quick way to Paris, Milan or wherever else you need to go.

Think laterally, it's a small place compared to here. I would never fly internally in Italy for instance - train is better/cheaper.

Depending on where you are going in Italy I could give you some help with places to stay - particularly in Firenze.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike - as always!

I can remember some years back that there was something called a Europass which I think was for the Trains and it gave you unlimited travel throughout Europe on the train system - or have I got my wires crossed?

I agree with Mike,

Stay away from LHR, trains trains and more trains, think about an over night, or even 4-5 hours in an airport hotel to break the long leg. A chance to stretch the legs, shower, sleep. It works out cheaper than business class and dramatically eases the pain.

We are thinking about Japan as our next break on the way to Europe, I've never been there and it is about half way.

enjoy the trip

Davidh

Sorry guys, please excuse my ignorance but what is LHR?

LHR = London Heathrow,or 'Long Hours Resting' as those who use it regularly will know.

I flew recently with Emirates into Venice via Dubai,cheapest, flights were pretty loaded and really did not have much choice on return dates.maybe better now. winters coming on, raining on the plains and starting to snow on the hills. Trains are fast and cheap. Various travel passes available. If you end up going to Slovakia maybe into Venice and train to Trieste and hop over the border, check visa i don't think they are EU. READ travel advisories, for all the countries you visit. insurance is a good idea. Emirates fly into Rome and Paris. good service and flight crew (s) on demand movies ect. Dubai is interesting. Treat yourself to something special in duty free.

ozzie

Guest Fred Bear

Ian, use Webjet, Zuji and all that stuff then email your quote or call Flight Centre on 133 133 and they will beat it. Emma and I just did it for Vietnam next year. They really are, as their slogan states, unbeatable. Check out their web site:

http://www.flightcentre.com.au

Don't know where in Slovakia you wish to go but be careful in some parts. It is a poor country and they can spot a newbie a mile off. In saying that, I personally had no problems just need your wits about you is all.

Guest David C

I go with what Darren said . For my last few trips to the UK I have used Bestflights , Zuji , Travel.com to get the best quotes , then popped them into Flight Centre . They have to beat them , thats what their charter says !! ...I use Emirates usually , due to their good connections out of Dubai , and the fact that I can fly to my local Birmingham Airport , or any of the other 6 British Airports they fly to .

Dave C

Oh sorry, I thought I sent a private message. My mistake!

Oh well, whilst it's out in the open it appears that the MCR range of aircraft are manufactured in Presov Slovakia. As for Italy and France, you've got me stumped there, it could be the Tecnam Twin, or the A380 in France!

Remember if you are out there flying aircraft in other countries, if it's cold there or nearing winter you'll find that they will go like a bat-out-of-hell and climb like a homesick angel, so take off at least 10 knots indicated to get an idea of what it might do when you bring it home. Same goes with the climb rate, in some cases you could almost half it! Many an importer or private buyer have made the same mistake. One in particular was hounded for months after cruise speed claims were based on performance overseas in some very dense and cold air and some very disappointed buyers were screaming for their money back!

Brent, you are making assumptions and this is how rumours start :big_grin: but I will certainly tell my friend in Italy that if she ever learns to fly then not to expect the same performance figures in Australia when she comes here next, and I will remember that if I get a chance to fly an A380 around the Eiffel tower, which I hope to see while I am there. By the way, does anyone know if you can get a tour of the Airbus site?

Oh, and re your assumption - notice I haven't asked for any advice on accom - now I wonder what that may mean ;)

I have ruled out going to Slovakia anyway (there are some very interesting places to visit in that country - it was on my wish list) but it is interesting that the MCR is made there - I honestly didn't know that.

I am hoping to get a stop over in one particular country to try and source some products for the shop though.

What I will say is that I hope to be bringing back some interesting things ;)

Oh, and re your assumption - notice I haven't asked for any advice on accom - now I wonder what that may mean ;)

What I will say is that I hope to be bringing back some interesting things ;)

When I combine these 2 statements, lets just say I hope that she's worth it! Nothing that some cream won't fix I hope

Guest Bendorn

Hi Ian, Paris is my favorite city in the world and I know it back to front. May I suggest a fantastic little hotel right in the centre of Paris. Hotel Marigny http://www.paris-hotel-marigny.com/uk/navigation.htm

It's had a major upgrade now and changed owners, but I've been staying there for over 20 years. You'll pay about $150.00 AUD a night. You cannot get a better location.

48°52'19.04"N 2°19'24.83"E to be exact.

Pop those into google earth and you'll see how great its location is.

Ben

Travel arrangements have been made and I will be leaving on Wednesday for 2 weeks - will be flying Emirates Melb - Dubai - Paris and then the reverse coming back.

I have to decide by tomorrow morning whether to do Melb - Singapore - Dubai - Paris or not might be a nicer trip and I could spend a day or 2 in Sing for a quick break. I was going Melb - Sing - Kuala Lumpur - Dubai - Paris as there is a possible supplier in Kuala Lumpur for the shop of some great panel gear but I will give that a miss and use email instead.

In order to miss seeing Donkey at the airport - I have finalised and paid for my trip:

Leave this Tuesday on Emirates EK407 at 22:25 to Dubai

Dubai for 2hrs 20mins then to Paris

Travel around France - Italy on Eurail 10 day over 2mths pass to 4 countries and then back to Paris

Early 24th Nov - Paris to Birmingham on City Jet

Late 25th Nov - Birmingham to Paris

Travel on Eurail to Germany and then back to Paris

29th Nov Leave Paris late afternoon on Emirates to Dubai

2 nights and 2 full days in Dubai

Emirates home arriving at 01:30 in Melb on 3rd Dec

I guess I will be exhausted for the first few days back but it will be fun. Offcourse everyone here in the forums are going to be so well behaved with their posts while I am away aren't you :big_grin:

Ian, Google Easyjet, Sky Europe, GermanWings, & as a last resort Ryanair. We used the first three airlines last year, all booked on internet & no problems. Have a great trip,

Rgds Pete

Guest Fred Bear
Thinking of today, pay a visit to the Aussies who never returned from their European adventure. HPD

Yes mate. Alot of people have lost touch with it. Sad really. Too involved in all the other to care about our diggers.

As you mentioned Rememberance Day. I was reminded a few weeks ago as i wandered around a town called Bassano. At the bridge in the centre of town are the remains of one battle with the Germans and Austrians. A large number of holes from lge caliber machine gun fire surrounds the window frames of several buildings where the locals tried to defend their town. nearby a street overlooking a park has a long row of perfectly groomed trees, on each is a name and date and the method used by the Germans to kill them, shot or hung. Every day the flowers are replaced and the lawn trimmed and watered. hard to imagine such terror in an old peaceful city. seems everyday is Rememberance Day in a lot of European towns. Italy's "Liberty Day" coincides with our Anzac Day.

Lest We Forget.