Media hype. Can someone tell me if this would be true?

flying dog

Stareing death in the face.

I'm listening to the radio and one of these "famous" news people are on.

:csm:

He's talking about when he and his crew were flying in a plane to Torres Straight islands.

They were flying into the airport and had to be there before dawn. It was a night flight.

He went on saying they were getting close and were starting to land but there was a problem with getting the airport to turn on the lights.

Cutting to the chase, he was saying the plane wasn't capable of landing without the lights of the runway and they were pretty well thinking they were going to die.

They were getting low on fuel, and all this stuff.

"I said to the producer it's not worth waking the camera/audio guy. Let them die in their sleep."

Errrr...... So the plane was flying below minimus - right? It didn't have enough equipment to land unless the runway lights were on.

Would this be a legal flight?

Military or otherwise?

Well that is what "worries" me.

This is a MILITARY flight.

There was an Air Crash Investigation where a similar things happened.

Ok, "it happenes", but this dork telling people in the real world about this?

Maybe they shouldn't be doing it, but I think this is stepping over the line of what they should be talking about and what they shouldn't.

Generally you can't land without RWY lights. In an EMERGENCY you could maybe get away with car headlights at the threshold facing along the runway. Your landing lights wouldn't be much help above 300'. You should carry alternate fuel depending on the reliability of the lights ( Power source ) I had the tower at Tullamarine "accidently" turn off the approach and runway lights when I was on final, and there was nothing but a big black hole. There is NO question of continuing the approach. You go-around.... Nev

The "reporter" was being interviewed on the radio about "looking death in the face"......

A bit of hype anyway.

But he was recalling this occurence. Talking them through it.

Just the detail given - to me - was a bit tooooo much.

Though it was supposed to be about "close calls" and all that, I just can't believe it as he said.

I can't belive the army/air force would allow such a flight with those limits.

If it had to be done, they would have given them the plane with the needed systems.

Guest basscheffers
If it had to be done, they would have given them the plane with the needed systems.

I very much doubt the aircraft didn't have the systems. Unless the runway has ILS, it's an emergency and you just decide to drive it onto the runway blind, you're going to need lights, which are on the ground, not the aircraft.

On another note, the lack of precision approaches (ILS or GPS/WAAS) at many Australian runways is a safety issue that nobody talks about.

A bit hard to comment without knowing more details, but I've watched many Hercs doing night circuits here relying on their NVGs with all runway and aircraft lighting off. Though I don't know if any other AF pilots need this capability.

It was a reporter right? may or may not have even been in the Torres Straight. Could have been a civilian or military aircraft. Day, night, twilight or dusk take your pick. These people in the media tell so much tripe it is utterly impossible to believe even the basics of any story they put out.