CASA grounds Tiger Airways...

Guest Jake.f

If I recall correctly the TV show This Day Tonight some time ago hauled CASA over the coals for turning a blind eye to many Qantas indescretions that included amongst other things substandard work being performed on Qantas jets at overseas facilities. When put to a CASA spokesman the question " why was this wiring repair done with a common household staple ?" his reply was " are you trying to pretend that every organisation in the world is perfect ". This Day Tonight further accused CASA of covering for Qantas. The vid is on the internet for download and I personally found it to be very insightful of the CASA Qantas relationship. It would not suprise me in the least if it came to light that Tigers grounding may be more political/Qantas domestic profit related than a stated safety matter.

CASA could have tackled the pilots that allegedly violated the rules but instead they preferred to shut the entire airline. Increasingly appears like a government at war with it's own citizens and their busnesses.

CASA could have tackled the pilots that allegedly violated the rules but instead they preferred to shut the entire airline. Increasingly appears like a government at war with it's own citizens and their busnesses.

I don't think that many Australian citizens would own Singapore Airlines shares. They are not traded on the ASX or NYSE.

I believe there is "A" major share holder and Singapore Airlines...

I wasn't aware of that. Singapore Airlines controls Tiger in that they appoint the management, right?

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has filed an application with the Federal Court seeking an order that Tiger Airways Australia not fly until 1 August 2011.

More information can be found on the CASA website.

Seems like Tiger has pre-empted CASA (or more accurately, the Federal Court) and cancelled all flights until 1st August anyway. Now....how to get my son home from Qld.

Guest davidh10

The preliminary ATSB report has been released for the Melbourne Airport violation of LSALT.

From this preliminary information, it would seem that the aircraft's on-board navigation system database had an LSALT of 2,000' (for the base leg of the landing procedure) and neither the pilot nor co-pilot noticed the discrepancy between that and their Jeppesen arrival chart which specified the correct 2,500', even though they were only cleared to descend to 2,500'.

Guest davidh10

ATSB have just released the preliminary report on the Avalon LSALT non-compliance. Haven't read all of it yet. There's a bit more to it than the other incident. Again the report describes a descent without clearance.

* Edit. I've now read it all and it isn't really clear cut. While there was not a formal clearance to descend below 3,000', the infringing altitude was the subject of discussion with Melbourne Approach, who concluded "Ok"! Unfortunately, it is still infringing, even by VFR rules.

Guest davidh10
So... In laymens terms what happened on the flight? Did the Pilots input the wrong info or was the info from Tiger's Nav Ops wrong? Paperwork errors?

The two incidents are quite different, and undoutedly will be determined to be multiple contributory factors, rather than a single cause.

It isn't for this forum to make judgements that may come back to bite the poster. I suggest you read the reports and form your own opinion. The circumstances are interesting and the preliminary reports are only a few pages. They also carry the rider of being preliminary and therefore subject to change in details as the investigation continues.

Seems we will have to wait a year for the final outcome from ATSB, but CASA will act before then, so that too will be interesting. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if something along the lines that CFIcare has suggested, occurs. The yhad already had posters out about pilots becoming too reliant on GPS and ending in the poo as a result.