rotary valve iol pump check

Guest rosco triker

Guest rosco triker

Hi all does any body know how to check wether the rotary vale oil pump is working? I realise that you can see the oil bottle begining to empty, I seem think that my rotary valve is recieving limited amounts of oil. The Rotax manual for the blue head 582 does not carry any infomation on checking use of oil other than watching the oil level recede.my oil level has barely moved over the 4 hrs flying that I have done when last flying. I would rather not wait for motor seizure to find out. can sombody please help?

The rotary valve oil doesn't get burnt in the combustion process so the level shouldn't drop much if at all.

When you check the level as part of your daily inspection its worth actually taking the top off & looking inside. Over time the oil can stain the inside of the tank making it difficult to notice if the level has actually dropped.

Cheerrs

John

Rosco,

Concur with Crezzi. The rotary shaft/valve is in its own little oil-bath and should use little or no oil under normal operations. If it starts to use oil, then this would indicate a leaking seal. A minor amount of leakage/topping up is acceptable.

Regards

Kev.

Guest rosco triker

Cheers Kev

appears as though this forum is a god send to low hour pilots ,thanks to Ian and co this is a great web site forum for piloting.

Rotary valve lubrication.

The plastic bottle is only a reservoir, though some agitation occurs. The main thing looked after is the skew gear driving the rotary valve and the water pump. Cloudiness in the oil indicates a leaking pump seal. Oil can get into the coolant the same way. The oil level should not change, as the rotary valve itself hardly requires lubricating, and is catered for by the same oil that keeps the pistons happy. ie the pre-mix or the pump (where fitted). Nev

• 1 year later...
Guest Crezzi
same oil i use for the engine?bp

If you mean "same oil as you add to the fuel" - yes.

If you mean "same oil as the gearbox" - NO !

Cheers

John