Changing instructors?

Guest adamneat

doug i may be biase as i own one it is a briliante aircraft to fly

that was cas the importer nice paint job on that plane

now mine is back in the air i will be down wallan way will take you up in it one week end

the kit is is briliante to put together no painting no drilling got the good oil on it ed recondions take four weeks of holdays and he could have it together neil

Tony.. I agree with Mazda and the others, i can't see how getting you near the trees will help you, you either get an approach right or you don't, if the approach was short and you needed power to drag it on then thats probably considerd a short approach or a failure.. getting you near the trees isn't going to do anything but prove to you that your instructor is behaving in a manner unbecoming of a good airman (in my view).. I was always taught to fly as if your engine was going to fail in the next few seconds...ie..keep tight in the cct, and if you are short use the power sooner rather then later becasue later that power may not be there..To demonstrate how buggerd you may be if your engine fails by getting close to trees is dangerous to say the least...

I always aim to arrive at the strip a little high and use the better part of the strip or sideslip to wash off the excess height should ya need to.. What about making glide approaches the normal landing routine..its not what i do in the jabiru but in the skyfox i was taught to glide evry approach, this makes evry landing a practice for an engine out and leaves 100% of the throttle as useable?? just a thought, and it would sure make you kep those legs tight to the strip..

I feel for your dramas regarding the Thruster i flew a thruster a few times and it was a real ratbag...i do have to ask how it is you have solo taxi time?? is this a normal thing to do, its just ive never heard of it b4..

Back when I was learning to fly in a Thruster at about age 55, I did a fair bit of solo taxi time. It helps a lot to get you sorted out before you actually take off or land solo as you are the accustomed to the much lighter weight, particularly when there is a cross wind. I only managed to do one unintentional ground loop. In a Thruster, you don't need to go very fast to get it very light on the wheels just under lift off in ground effect with the tail wheel up, and you quickly learn to dance on the pedals.

David

OK.. that makes sence i spose, i'd never heard of it before thats all.. When i was learning in the skyfox tg wich is another ratbag on the ground my instructor would get me to get the tail up and we\d go right up the length of the strip with the bum up but not taking off..we'd go up and bak up and bak, and after a while he got me weaving in and out of the boundry markers on the grass beside the strip...hehe, my mates would watch us and wonder what the hell was going on...good fun but...got me peddaling like a cyclist ...

Don't get the tail too high. It isn't nice skating along the runway on the nose of the pod. I hope you are doing it on grass although gravel is better when you do a ground loop.

David

Stall speed probably in the low thirties, but 20 is fast enough to do the tail up exercise, and don't do it if the wind is gusty if you don't think you can handle it. Remember, that sooner or later when you actually go flying solo in one, you might actually have to land, both in cross winds or gusty conditions, so a bit of practice handling it on the ground will benefit you in the long run. It all gets easier with a bit of practice. A wide grass strip helps too.

Good luck,

David

Today, still no 'tail ups' solo, but 1/2 hour solo fast ground runs even faster - up to 25 knots.

Discovered what adverse yaw really means - accidentally input ailrons on fast ground run, oh boy, she turns the other way ! Be careful people...