Fly away dilemma

flie43

Ok guys , here is my dilemma. Every year a group of us fly up to the St Pats races at Broken Hill. We have done this for about the last 15 years and take 2 or 3 A/C, usually C182's or C172XP. Occasionally we stopped at an outback station on the way without telling the passengers and had a fantastic pre-organised outback lamb on the spit or similar and the station owner also had an esky full for the pax's, or we stopped at Menindee or Pooncarie. Well this year the Broken Hill races are too early and it falls on the long weekend in March (also wifes b'day and wedding anniversary) SO, I am trying to come up with a tour or trip of 4 days with a total flight time of max 6 hours at 120 knots, late March or early April with a different touch. The crew and pax are fromMelb and around Wangaratta. Departure is from WGT. The guys like a beer (or 3) and bit of sight seeing or action. Age range 40-50 (ish) Was thinking maybe Canberra way or Merimbula to do a fishing trip.

Any Takers or ideas?

Terry

• More 1

Terry

Have you seen Blueshed's posts about the Jamestown flyin mid April?

You could also maybe do Wilpina Pound and/or come the Aussie Superbike round at Mallala same weekend if you have any revheads in your group + maybe hit the Barossa wineries to finish yourselves off.

Just a thoughty - but is that too far?

Geoff

22-23 March are flying days at Temora. They are great to see and Temora is a nice town. Merimbula/Moruya are both good.

If you do the SA trip make sure you keep going past Wilpena and go to Arkaroola. You can go via Broken Hill. It's an awesome place (they have a website) with two or three big observatories, motel type accommodation, restaurant, bar, pool, amazing 4WD trails, waterholes, yellow footed rock wallabies, amazing rock formations, crystals just sitting there on the ground. The guy that runs the place (Doug) is an aviation nut with an Auster and a 207 they operate from their own strip. He'd pick you up from his strip or Balcanoona if you need a longer strip. ;)

Thanks Mazda, looks like SA is the place for a fly-away. Might leave that trip for when I finally get a Jab myself. Will keep these idaes, they are just what I needed. But this trip maybe East of WGT would be the go, a bit closer and cheaper. Any ideas for south of you-flown to both Merimbula and Moruya- can't remember what Moruya is like as a destination. Mybe we could start there and then Merimbula and coastal to Lakes entrance then over the top for Wang

Terry

If northern SA is a bit far, what about Southern SA? Goolwa is a great destination, good airstrip, variety of accommodation from motels to B&Bs, tours can include anything from cruises on the coorong to hills wineries to penguin tours on nearby granite island. There are golf courses nearby and excellent local restaurants. Geoff, the airport owner rents out cars.....what more could you want? If you come via the coast you drop in on Robe or Kingston, great little coastal towns.

The coastal scenery here is superb, and the local flyers pretty friendly

Peter

Yes, I've flown to both Merimbula and Moruya. Moruya has the strip right on the beach, I kid you not. I haven't been there for a while so don't know if security fences have stopped this, but I used to taxi off the runway, park near the beach, climb through the fence and have a swim. It's fantastic. But I haven't actually ventured off the airport so I'm not much help with advice about getting to town.

Merimbula is not right on the beach, but still very close to the coast. It's an easy and pleasant walk into town. (Probably too far to carry a lot of gear though).

The flight between them is fantastic coastal flying.

Guest Flyer40

Terry

Just further to mazda's comment. Moruya is fenced in now. But you can still park at the terminal and walk across for a swim. Just make sure you park on the grass to the south so Rex can use the apron. There is a camping ground directly in front of the terminal with cold showers and toilets and there is river fishing on the south side. However Moruya aerodrome is not within walking distance of anything, you'd need to call a cab. It would be about 10 mins to Moruya by car.

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Mallacoota

Hey all, thanks for your help for our flyaway, the suggestions have been great. Definitely gotta get to SA in the future but this trip will be to Merimbula for a start.

Mazda and Flyer, thanks for your suggestions re the south coast, have any of you flown into Mallacoota and if so, what is the airport like and is it a town worth visitng for a couple of days and maybe Gabo Island.

Terry

Mallacoota is a large ex-military gravel strip with a few hangars. It's pretty remote in type and probably 5? minutes from town. If you can find it there's a wartime bunker nearby which has been turned into a military museum.

It's a small coastal type town with some motels, boat ramp and fishing etc.

Merimbula would be more upmarket, probably because it's on the main road whereas Mallacoota is a fair way out.

Picture attached from there from last weekend.

malla.jpg.c7f7f19459d9a2809fc216f1548d4fa4.jpg

Brent, thanks for the info, thats great and what a great pic. Maybe we will visit Mallacoota for a day after leaving Merimbula and then around to Lakes and over the hill to WGT- all weather permitting of course

Terry

Terry I haven't flown in to Mallacoota but a friend of mine operates there and across to Gabo. Let me know what you want to find out. He's told me previously that Mallacoota is a good gravel strip but keep it rolling to avoid prop damage. Generally there is no fuel, they might be able to organise drums.

Terry I like the idea of your plan. Lakes would be a good prospect along with Merimbula. Stayed at Lakes overnight at a B&B called Dejavu last year. They came and got me from the airport which was handy and had Maltesers and OJ ready for my other half.

This is the only pic I have of Lakes that shows the airfield in relation to the town.

It's in the top right under the reflection.

You can see the gravel and if you look closely the bitumen one is visible. It's got quite a slope to it so landing to the west even with a slight tail-wind may be the go.

lakes2.jpg.d87a9a5fa53c3d02c17526e32923de0d.jpg

Mazda, thanks for the info on Coota. We are heading that way first weekend in April, so if the weather is looking ok I might get his name and number off you closer to the time and touch base with him. Hey Brent, great pic of Lakes as well. I now know who to ask for a pic of any airstrip in the country. The new strip there is great, beats the old one, doesn't it. How many people can the B&B cater for ? Not sure on numbers but I think about 10 at this time.

Terry

www.dejavu.com.au was where I stayed. Plenty of room for one and all.

I was at the field that day when Dick opened it, 'twas a good day.

Sadly the owner of the field had a stroke since and can't fly his Beech Jet (similar to Citation) in there, but he's fairly well off and wouldn't struggle to find a free pilot for it.