Hello my name is Tim and I'm a Plane nut (HELLO TIM! hello Tim)

Timm427

Welcome to the forums Tim. It sounds like you and I are at a similar stage of training. I have 2.5hrs solo in 14.5hrs total and I'm flying a UL-D which has the longer wings of the 170 and the narrow body of the 120. Makes for a great training aircraft. Enjoy the flying around Wentworth and Sunraysia. I used to live there in the late 70's to the late 80's.

Cheers, Mathew

Hello Chris,

I had only flown the J170 until 2 weeks ago when I flew with my instructor in a J160 (mainly because I found a chunk missing out of the prop - Oh those pre flight inspections are actually important). With 2 up the difference is add 5kts to the J170 approach speed, takeoff etc for the 160. The 160 also has a little less aileron drag, so a little less rudder required to co-ord turns. When flying the 170 solo it sometimes feels like it could do with a little more impetus on approach but that is probably just getting used to having 85kgs less in the right seat. Appart from that they are pretty much the same.

I train at Wentworth with CFI Cliff Banks - Sun Centre Ultralights based in Swan Hill. Cliff trains at Wentworth Fri - Sun every F/Night.

Cheers Tim

Tim, The wing loading for the UL-D is 12.16 lbs/sq ft (as listed on the Jabiru website). Wing loading for the 170c is 12.8 lbs/sq ft. As I grow in experience, I'm finding it much easier to acheive consistent landings solo or with the instructor on board. The landing is definitely more 'positive' with two on board. Solo, it wants to float a little, but my judgement as to when to flare is better now.

Cheers, Mathew

Hi Tim

Welcome, not far away at Jamestown SA, we are having a Flyin and Hangar Dinner on 19th April if you are interested!

The club here has just recently purchased a J230 and this is a good excuse for a party!

Happy Flying Cheers Guy

Hi Blueshed - Love to be there but at this stage my instructor will only let me fly as far as the river to the South and the creek to the West. Still along way to walk from there. I reckon I'll be ready to go around July/August.

How many do you get flying in?

I was just looking at your strip on Google maps - I'd better start practicing crosswind landings.

Regards Tim

Hi Tim

Would make a good little Nav Ex, or you could get a lift over with one of the other fella's. Have you met Col at Wentworth?

We expect about 150 to 200 people for the Hangar Dinner, some of those will drive in and some will walk and some will fly, maybe around 40 - 50 planes at a guess!

You'll have to be here to find out!

Cheers Guy