• Williamtown
    • Badgerys Creek
    • Canberra
    • Goulburn
    • Mascot
    • Other

Guest Chainsaw

Ok guys,

If a 2nd airport is needed for Sydney, where should it be built? Have a vote then discuss your reasons on here.

Guest Cat on a PC©

There's too much money at stake for MAp. The best thing is to relocate the international or domestic part of the airport. I once read a suggestion to build an extension of the airport and additonal runways over the other side of the bay at Kurnell.

Guest David C

Canberra , Goulburn and Willy are out because they are all too far from Sydney . Other counties have no problems building new airports a long distance from their serving cities , Kuala Lumpur is one example , however , they all have a culture of fast road and rail connections which Australia does not embrace and is unlikely to either . So that leaves Richmond , Badgeries and Mascot . I voted for Badgeries because I think a new site where all new infrastructure would be built , where runways could be well spaced and lengthy and not too far from Sydney , despite it's aging road and rail connections is a good compromise . Install a Cat 111B ILS and a no curfew policy because without these it would just be another waste of taxpayers money ...... My Two bobs worth ..

Dave C

• 8 months later...
Guest FireCom

I think Richmond!

A) for personal satisfaction. Much easier to plane spot there (no crappy traffic)

B) I don't think it should be Mascot, there is already enough chaos in the area

C) I'm with Ryan to say Regional flights, but bring exclusives here too!!

FireCom

______

Clear

Guest Chainsaw

The large number of fog days could be a factor unless they put in a Cat III. They prob should have Cat III at Mascot anyway.

The geographic nature of the Sydney basin makes the 'where' question almost unanswerable, especially with housing creep.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ventus45

Other.

Royal National Park.

Level a few hills, fill in a couple of small valleys, buid a turnoff to/from the existing expressway (upgrade) and do the same with a spur line off the railway line from Sutherland (upgrade), make it 24/7 ops, problem solved forever.

• 4 months later...

Hello people, Noob here just putting in my $0.02c...no wait...$0.019...no wait...$0.016....

I know I will be flamed / throwing cat among the pigeons (pardon pun) but; Goulburn or Canberra for sure. Would more or less garuantee the VFT and probably create more jobs than relocating to any of the others.

SKS has been overcrowded for 10-15 years or even more, RCM and BWU will eventually outgrow their welcome (if they have not already) - the retarded media is already starting to beat up the past couple of 'incidents'. I guess SKS could scale down a bit and become more regional & friendly if the major freight & PAX carriers relocated to Goulburn.

I guess the downside would be relocations for staff etc., distances for some freight transportation (although rail is an under-used resource), the need to create more non-existent infrastructure - but plenty of room out there among the rock farms.

JMHO.

:behindsofa:

Have a listen to the Warren Truss interview on Plane Crazy Down Under. I have an opinion about where the 2nd Airport should be but I can tell you it won't be Canberra. Terry Snow and Stephen Byron don't want General Aviation activities messing up their plans to become a 24 freight hub. Freight, not people! Geriatric jets hauling pallets charged by the kilo or cubic metre to the freight forwarder. Modular, mechanised, automated, clean, secure and profitable. No need for a second runway at Canberra because the freight planes would be encouraged to move nearer midday or midnight (by charging the fv<k out of them for movements during the morning and evening peaks). No extra aero bridges, its not even in the master plan (?). And I call B.S. to Stephen Byron claiming that in section 2.9.2 of the Lancaster Place plan that "Suitably located sites have been provided for General Aviation in the Pialligo Precinct, at Fairbairn" then charging $21.42/tonne landing fees for piston aircraft. That is usury. Don't get me started on the ILS fee. We know Canberra Airports Corporation want a freight hub, everyone in Canberra has an opinion on it. Its time to let the rest of the world know what yours is Stephen.

• 2 years later...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-09/sydney-airport-running-out-of-space-faster-than-it-thinks/4458128

The bank's estimate is consistent with a finding by a joint Federal and NSW Government study that found signs of constrained capacity would emerge at Sydney Airport from around 2020.

What does Max Moore-Wilton say about this?

Mentions of Canberra, Willy, Richmond or Holdsworthy all tangle with the military, and infrastructure is required all around, so what about Nowra?

Guest aviatrix27

Royal National Park. I remember looking at part of it years ago (long before even thinking about learning to fly) and thinking it would be a great spot for a 2nd airport.

• 3 months later...

Richmond .... It's baaaaack

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2013/04/19/richmond-on-the-radar-for-relief-sydney-flights/

This may be the real test for any use of Richmond for scheduled domestic flights. Getting the airlines to go there!

Which puts it up there with Siberia as an airline destination

Guest David C

A " relief" airport hey ! ... Well it will need a relief terminal , relief transport links as well as a relief 1000M runway extension for starters .. Just because it can handle the odd C17 and C5 , the pollies assume it can take a loaded A380 . They have no idea ..

Dave C