What Happens When The Canopy Pops Open?

Spin

Well in a KR2 - this....

[ATTACH=full]1052[/ATTACH]

I'll admit to not being overly keen on bubble type, tip up canopies in the first instance, but this incident reinforced my determination to do everything possible to ensure that they are properly secured before I fly. Rudi Venter a well known South African EAA member had both catches on the canopy of his KR2 come loose recently and related how the canopy tipped up to approx 45 degrees in the airflow, completely disrupting the flow over the tail surface. The aircraft pitched nose down and it was only after he managed to grab and partially close the canopy, that he was able to regain a degree of control. Unable to work the throttle, with hands occupied with canopy and stick, he was able to mush to a landing in a field short of the runway - a pretty good result considering the alternative. I often look at aircraft low over the Gold Coast and remember Gary Sweetman, the local Zenith agent, who came unstuck in a CH-601 with a similar canopy, during a short test flight.

Love aircraft, but dammit they can bite too!

[ATTACH]18141[/ATTACH]

6749097867_7b31f8705e_b.jpg.0c7a1fa905c810ab578abf01bae250e1.jpg

I seem to recall hearing that in a 601 if this happens, the secret is to go faster not slower (I stand to be corrected of course) but would make for an interesting landing. I would be happy with Rudi's outcome I think under the circumstances

wow scary thing to have happen, there's just no way of training for this kinda stuff,

there was a story getting around of a canopy failure that turned in to a spin and then a forced landing with a tip over,,can't remember the type but again a scary story!

The SportStar is very benign when this happens. It doesn't open very far and it just flies. Of course you won't be able to close it.

It happened in mine (before I owned it) without incident and the dealer also told me when he went for his training at the factory, they did it to him on purpose to demonstrate what a non-event it is.

Different design, different outcome, I guess...

The SportStar is very benign when this happens. It doesn't open very far and it just flies. Of course you won't be able to close it.It happened in mine (before I owned it) without incident and the dealer also told me when he went for his training at the factory, they did it to him on purpose to demonstrate what a non-event it is.

Different design, different outcome, I guess...

What sportstar have you got Bas, I did some time in 4010 a few years ago

Any sudden rush of cold air accompanied by loud noise is startling to say the least. Never flew with a pop up canopy, but have had a Bonanza door come open in flight.

Any sudden rush of cold air accompanied by loud noise is startling to say the least. Never flew with a pop up canopy, but have had a Bonanza door come open in flight.

had the door on a C185 come open at about 100ft on final once, half sh1t myself, but it didn't effect the aircraft so I just left it open (it was a jump door although I wasn't doing jump ops)

Guest avi8tr

I'm surprised he couldn't continue to fly it and more surprised that it opened that far.

That last pic Red is a bit of a worry! I nearly bought an aircraft a short while back (a sea-plane) that had a canopy like that; I was a little scared of the idea which is one of the reasons I didn't talk myself into the purchase.

Doors and canopies opening can sure put you off your game when it happens. Although I knew it was to be a benign event in a Jabiru, I had never actually experienced a door opening. I was test flying a brand new J430 at Moorabbin a few years back. I lifted off, was over the threshold at the end of the runway at about 250 ft and the passenger door popped open. Added to that one flap required some serious adjustment thus requiring significant control input. Certainly added to the workload as it wasn't something I expected. That's why we test fly alone, with appropriate experience. In this case the first leap was with the owner on-board - he got out but didn't latch it properly. Lesson for next time.

My only experience was with a ratty old C150 on one of my first night flights, the noise certainly got my attention, but I don't recall any real change to the feel of it. What did surprise me was how difficult it was to close the door, I'd always been told that it was nigh on impossible in a low wing aircraft, but even in a high wing it took a bit of doing.

Avi8tr, as I understood Rudi's story, he closed the throttle when the aircraft bunted over, losing all the loose paperwork and his headset in the process! Once he got the canopy pulled down and persuaded the nose back up (with nearly full stick deflection) he didn't have a spare hand to open the throttle back up and couldn't reach with his elbow either - he tried.:) Says he was too afraid of losing control altogether if he let either canopy or stick go, so worked with what he had.

Metalman, I vaguely remember a similar story, don't recall the type either (Dynaero?) but I think to crown it all they ended up inverted in a sandy field and battled to get out.

I guess the best you can hope for with the rear hinged canopies, is that they will tear off without damaging either crew or airframe, as they depart.

From memory, (it was about 30 years ago), the Bonanza's POH says to try side-slipping to the right to get the side pressure to help close the door. In my instance, I was shooting touch and go's at Moorabbin, and it popped when I was on downwind. I completed the circuit as a full stop, taxied to the holding point where I closed the door, and resumed touch & go's.

Some thing's , while in flight, just shouldn't be contemplated, flying along and thinking about the ramifications of some of these canopies coming open would just ruin the experience , checking canopies before take off is serious. Went up to do some aeros in a decathlon and the damn door latch was playing up, buggered around with it for a couple of minutes till I was happy , just the thought of it coming open in the middle of a manouvre ,,, yuk!

Some friends had the skylight pop out in one last year, the sudden pressure difference sucked the side window in , a couple of cuts , and maybe soiled undies, they landed okay but it would have been a shock, not certain it I think it was in a spin recovery.

Guest avi8tr

I am aware of someone who did an outside loop in his Citabria and the door sucked in and whacked him on the head. Had a hard job landing it with the door squashing his head against the opposite window.

I am aware of someone who did an outside loop in his Citabria and the door sucked in and whacked him on the head. Had a hard job landing it with the door squashing his head against the opposite window.

just recovering with the door inside out would be a job and a half

I have had a couple of doors pop. Teccy Eaglet, had done it 3 times.Aircraft new (Door out of rig from factory). All sorted. Archer- Door came ajar, but top latch OK. I did unlatched top latch, threw her into a slip.Didnt matter how hard I tried I still couldnt close the door properly, (Could hold door and latch/unlatch the top latch no problem).As mentioned by the gents above. I wasnt concerned about it.But the wind noise and air flowing in is very annoying. I went back to archerfield and landed.Shut the door and went on my merry way.:)

Wow that would have been scary.

Guest ozzie

When the door pops open on a C150, enjoy the extra shoulder room.

Best thing about a canopy is not having one.

Guest avi8tr

Citabria pilot was later lying on the couch when his pilot friend suggested that he should see a doctor. Battered with black eye etc.

The door hit him so hard he flew around for a while to re-gain his bearings then attempted to land with pan-pan. Used up 1,500 metres to get down safely as he was not with it properly (mentally and physically). Lesson learned - don't try that again!

I haven't done much neg G stuff, I don't like the feeling much, probably just need to do more!

I often think about a catastrophic airframe failure, I think you'd have plenty of time to think about whats coming, say 6000agl even at 3000fpm descent you'd have a bit of time to admire the view!

Decathlon. One of the door hinges broke.