I Need Help For My Thesis!

Guest Gimmer86

Guest Gimmer86

Hiya aviation fans!

The topic of my thesis is to identify the changes in the perception of quality in an aircraft cabin when the frequency of flying increases. For example the comfort of the seat is more important for non-frequent flyers but for frequent flyers the size of the hand luggage space is more important. Or the involvement of the passengers with the flight exprience changes with the frequency of flying.

So I would like to ask you what are your priorities in an aircraft cabin? how do you perceive quality? and how frequently do you fly? (when you are travelling not working :)

I know you are not the usual type of passengers but I think this could give you a special view point of the aircraft cabin and its functions.

After completing the final questionnaire I will also post it here.

Thanks for your help

Guest David C

Gimmer,

An interesting set of questions there .. I fly on average about 8 times/ yr on scheduled passenger flights , split almost 50/50 long haul international and short to medium range domestic and internationals . For me personally , the seat comfort is my top priority . I fly almost exclusively economy cabin . Almost all economy class seats are of 17" to 18" width and offer between 31" and 34" seat pitch . I have found over the years that seat comfort in general has declined . Most seats these days feel hard and uncomfortable after a few hours and after 16 hrs feel very hard indeed . The seat cushioning in particular is thinner . Recline is not an issue with me , as I rarely sleep on aircraft anyway .

Overhead luggage bins are getting more generous in size , which is a welcoming move . Fancy printed menus don't impress me , the food rarely matches the descriptions anyway ! . Space at the back of the cabin near the galley/ toilet areas is welcoming as this gives you a little standing space , after a few hours .

There are many areas of the flying experience which can create a perception of quality or otherwise . For me , an attentive and welcoming cabin staff is imperative , as is the general upkeep of the toilets and cabin furnishings ... Oh by the way in closing , fancy so called mood lighting doesn't impress me one bit , the perception that it can reduce the effects of jet lag is in my opinion just marketing rubbish . After 25 Hrs flying to London , you will not feel on top of the World , no matter what lighting there is ..

Hope you find my opinions helpful , they are just mine of course , and others will probably disagree anyway .

Dave C

Guest Darren Masters

For myself working in the cabin, the least amount of baggage space in the overhead lockers the better! Not meaning to be negative but cabin baggage (especially on LCC's) is starting to boarder ridiculous. Unfortunately the A320 has large overhead lockers and it's amazing what passengers perceive as 'cabin baggage'. For myself, inflight comfort in the way of refreshments and a positive, energetic cabin staff (especially on long-haul flights) is priority.

• 3 weeks later...
For myself working in the cabin, the least amount of baggage space in the overhead lockers the better! Not meaning to be negative but cabin baggage (especially on LCC's) is starting to boarder ridiculous. Unfortunately the A320 has large overhead lockers and it's amazing what passengers perceive as 'cabin baggage'. For myself, inflight comfort in the way of refreshments and a positive, energetic cabin staff (especially on long-haul flights) is priority.

From a passengers point of view I agree with you Darren. Somehow the grey people, who eventually are eliminated in cutbacks from time to time, have created this by baggage size and weight limitations in the cargo area with a corresponding increase in carry on luggage.

Part of this may be because passengers became frustrated with long waits at the baggage carousel, but the penalty was ruining many passenger experiences when their carry on items were squashed, or delaying their exit trying to find belongings which have been relocated, usually by late arrivals.

Recent years seem to have produced an increase in baggage damage, which may also be pushing this trend. We've had two new suitcases badly damage (one apparently run over) in the past 18 months.

There's a great opportunity for someone to develop an alternative logistics and security process for cargo hold luggage to shorten pickup time, and then carry on could be substantially reduced.

Guest Darren Masters
From a passengers point of view I agree with you Darren. Somehow the grey people, who eventually are eliminated in cutbacks from time to time, have created this by baggage size and weight limitations in the cargo area with a corresponding increase in carry on luggage.Part of this may be because passengers became frustrated with long waits at the baggage carousel, but the penalty was ruining many passenger experiences when their carry on items were squashed, or delaying their exit trying to find belongings which have been relocated, usually by late arrivals.

Recent years seem to have produced an increase in baggage damage, which may also be pushing this trend. We've had two new suitcases badly damage (one apparently run over) in the past 18 months.

There's a great opportunity for someone to develop an alternative logistics and security process for cargo hold luggage to shorten pickup time, and then carry on could be substantially reduced.

I hear you Turbo. If it makes you feel better I had a checked-in bag run over with crew tags all over it :eek: Make sure you claim anything that is damaged. I did not as the bag only had tyre marks on it and a broken strap!

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Darren,

Just caught up with this site again. Nice to see some very familiar names on here also (Hi guys)

Good luck Gimmer with collating details for your thesis. Not sure about all of the answers given by DaveC in his post.

Surely if you fly in a draughty Bantam, anything warmer on a flight to London would be a bonus, providing you get that you get that all important smile from the cabin attendant.

On a serious note, my personal dislike on longflights, is having the mis-fortune to being seated next to a 23 stone man adjacent to the exit door for 25hrs all the way from London to Sydney and trying to feed myself with my arms only able to move from below the elbows.

Not sure whether it's true or not, but when it's time for the long sleep period on long-haul flights, the temperature seems to be raised and the oxygen reduced to help passengers sleep.

I normally take a bottle of old-fashioned smelling salts with me, otherwise I feel I can't breath properly.

Done the trip a couple of dozen times and it always seems the same to me.

Kind Regards

Alan

PS Jabiru 3190 is still going strong. Took the girlfriends grandson for a TIF at The Oaks a couple ofSundays ago.

Guest David C

Alan ... Flying the Bantam to London .. Now that would be an adventure ! ... We always used to joke , Darren and I , that instead of using a clock and compass when navigating , we needed a calendar instead.. Great times though . I'll be off to London in September again , so I'll let you know how Etihad fares against the other carriers ..

Dave C