Radio/intercom choice

markendee

Looking for advice.

The time has arrived to make a decision.

What do the forum members feel is the best radio to buy for the Savvy? (and of course why)

I have a severe dislike of inaudible radio calls and do not want to contribute to them.

All advice appreciated and considered.

Mark

Mark

I have an Xcom in mine for the following reasons:

Reports/tests indicated that it provides a strong carrier.

Built in switchable intercom with volume suppression by radio calls.

Provision for input from MP3 player with volume suppression by intercom and radio.

Recommendations from others.

Ease of operation.

53 mm dia mount in dash.

Good display.

Dual watch capability.

Price is reasonable.

Have been using it for 3 weeks and so far I am extremely happy with it.

Might be worth a look ... and the remote head option might suit some.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Mark,

You first need to establish whether you want round hole mounting or GA rack mount is acceptable (or indeed handheld radio mounted on the panel).

The amount of power output is not a problem especially if using ultralight style engines - unshielded ignition reduces your receiving range so that a 1.5 watt transmitter is plenty. the problem with the handhedls is difficulty of operating the small controls, and messy installation, non-standard headset connections. I seldom recommend them for mounted use but my favourite is the Icom a20 which was still big enough to use, with controls limited to 2 faces.

In NZ practically every recent round hole radio except the Bekers have been troublesome - some seriously so and a few have been dumped despite the extra features these newer designs have. Cant buy them from the dealer anymore they have been so bad they gave up. Another unresolved issue is that both of the Aussie radios, nice as they are, make for very noisy transmissions in a typical microlight, because the pilot and copilot mics are both live turing transmission from either ptt. Yes this has been represented to them so you might see a software change in the model you buy today but that leaves the rest of them needing a fix.

Of the remaining group - the traditional GA rack style, I've only heard good things about Garmin SL40, the Icom a200 and its cousin in design Bendixking KY97a. There are a few apparently good cheaper options by Filser and ValCom. I've had a long association with the a200 and KY97a models and from an installers and techs point of view they are the best. Only faults I've seen are misalligned coax connector on tray and internal fuse DROPPED out of holder, both on the same A/C that had recent damage history so I dont blame the radio there.

You have probably figured by now that the savy money would go on the Icom A210; just hope it is as good as its predecessors. The best intercom is PS engineering but you wont need one with most of these radios that have it built in.

Ralph

Thanks to all for the advice.

I was leaning towards Icom with the flip flop switch. At the business end of the project now and am having trouble justifying spending more than absolutely necessary. (the drought is not helping here)

A mate suggested a vertex handheld as his does a good job. Another mate said the Icom handheld has a flip flop switch. Had a look on the net and yes one model does.

Geoff has just warned me off the Icom.

Has anyone else had experiences good or bad with handhelds?

Thanks,

Mark

Has anyone else had experiences good or bad with handhelds?

Mark

I also have a Vertex handheld and am pleased with it. I use it as a monitor and as an emergency backup. Vertex are made by Yaesu who make good gear, but I believe that any handheld will give a degree of reduced performance if used in an aircraft as a "permanent" installation.

I believe that a good radio is a vital tool for situational awareness and my advice is to get the best radio that you can afford. I promise you that you won't regret it.

And a nice 53 mm unit would look swish in the panel of your Savanah ..... but I also understand that budgets can perhaps get tight near the end of a build.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

I use Icom A22E and a Vertex. The Icom has given a lot of trouble and been repaired at least twice in 10 years. The Vertex is fairly good.

I can use both with an inbuilt aerial, but the Vertex has a screwed antenna so needs an adaptor. My choice would be the Icom 200. I have flown several planes with them and never a problem, except they are more expensive.