Yet Another Fatal Crash

red750

Two people, an instructor and student, were killed when an aircraft crashed beside a highway near Lismore at

10:15 am today. According to the thread on Pprune, the aircraft was either a Trinidad or Tobago. Here is the report from Yahoo!7 news:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/latest/a/-/newshome/15339179/two-dead-in-nsw-plane-crash/

Guest Michael Coates

Today wasn't a good day to be flying, we went to the airfield and actually decided not to fly because the wind was so strong and most importantly directionally gusty.... it would be in your face for one second and then on the back of your head the next and sometimes both directions at the same time. Think of a washing machine and that is probably the conditions at lower altitudes in our end of Queensland today, Lismore is not that far away and probably had similar testing conditions. Without knowing anything about the accident other than a few things online it could have been that weather played some role, it could also be that it didn't.

Again, it sounds like a broken record..... my thoughts go out to the relatives and those left. I don't know how many more plane accidents we can have, there are just simply too many!

Guest Michael Coates

MURWILLUMBAH I would have been too rough today because of the direction of the wind and the hills around the airfield..... we were looking at live Goldcoast airport weather and it was gusting up to 27 kn at times mid-morning so this could have been the reason why they ended up in Lismore and it may have been a contributor to difficult flying conditions...... happily, I feel we made the right decision today to stay on the ground.

One wonders what the conversation directly before the flight sounded like.

On a slightly unrelated note, I am finding the wind in Toowoomba difficult to come to terms with. Some days it's gusty or just windy and on very few days its dead still. The wind seems to roar during the night.

One ABC local news reporter Tom Forbes interviewed someone next to a sign that had NRAC on it. The interviewee indicated the crashed aircraft had already completed two circuits after a normal inbound call.

ABC website article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-09/plane-crash/4362834

Sky Local News Brisbane on multi-view advises that the Trinidad was privately owned on the Gold Coast, and that the flight was sheduled to be from OOL to Murwillumbah, but ended up near Lismore. It was only registered 3 months ago.

Also on that news report was the story of the private pilot from Archerfield in a 172 which crashed on his last flight before his licence test.The plane was severely damaged, and the pilot escaped with a few broken bones and lacerations to his face, but was sitting up in hospital to be interviewed.

And finally, a 58 year old pilot walked away without a scratch from a crash landing on the banks of the Serpentine Reservoir in WA, after his Jabiru suffered an engine failure. The Jab broke in two at the firewall. Rescue chopper crew said he did a terrific job dodging rocks and tree stumps on the bank.