Two airliners fly close to drone above New York

Gnarly Gnu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came within prob 300 ft recently at circuit level... I reported to Virgin behind me who took ít on board...3 circuits later it was at least 500 feet above circuit level right in the circuit area, in the middle of downwind for YPMQ runway 21, which flys over a residential area

I reported it to the airport manager, asked him if he wanted me to lodge a report and he said he said he would investigate and pursue

That exact drone in that video is what my one looked like

It absolutely will happen..its just a matter of when and what damage.

Unfortunately you are probably right about that.

Even at my speeds of 100knots , they are bloody hard to spot till your really close.

My point exactly, pretty much you would not spot one. How many have you seen by the way?

At 160 knots and in an RPT you would hit it for sure...

Yes correct if on a collision course they would hit it because they would never be able to see one.

I can understand why pilots are concerned about irresponsible drone operators but making up stories which are obviously not true is pointless and probably detrimental to their cause.

How many have you seen by the way?

When PIC - Ive only seen two different drones...but only one in the actual circuit area ...and I saw it twice on the one day ... see star on the pic

Riding and walking around town though i see them all the time...I run and ride a lot along the river walk and parks and they are often flying them and model AC (illegally) in the local parks...the days of people flying these at the designated RC aero club seem to be long gone... Im not up on the current regs for RC airplanes.

I would generally see 2 to 3 quadcopters per week when walking, running, riding around town... these ones are in close to the township and not far from the circuit, see map below

Most are only about 200-300 feet high at the highest. But occasionally I will see an operator with the tripod type video display where they place the cover over thier head, and those guys seem to go pretty high... id be guessing but id say they are around the 400-500ft mark

In the image below they are most often flown at 4 , but at on average around once a month i see them at 1 or 2 (at arrow) or 3 or 6

2 (at arrow) is a real concern as its right on early base.... or glide approaches, 3 is right in the middle of extended downwind

Our big saving grace is that generally as the tourist season hots up the wind is NE so we use the other other side ...makes it a non event. However these holidays its been blowing SW most of it including today and I saw two flying this morning at location 4 on my walk...

I have not seen any at number 5 which is an open playing field immediately prior to the threshold. Its only a matter of time and some well meaning, but poor thinking dad will rock down there with the kids on holidays and their new drone, throw it in the air and then realise oh poo as an aircraft plows through it on late final.

The main concern is the student pilots doing precautionary S &R at 500 ft as they come past locations 1 & 2 , or on glide approaches some tend to cut the corner past location 1 and 2

[ATTACH]24861[/ATTACH]

drone.png.33486210b19c63e74bb5e460e6fab291.png

I fly them myself they are hard to see 50 metres away when you know where it is and you are standing still. One time I had a near miss with 2 ultralight aircraft in my ultralight going in the opposite direction I did not see them coming until they were level with me, it was just lucky we were not lined up. Some of the so called 'sightings' are nothing short of ridiculous. All that aside I agree there is a looming problem with RC operations.