Radio Comms For Student Pilots?

Top Gun stuff.. BS .

I recall, quite a few years ago , A gaggle of planes were arriving at Sydney's Kingsford Smith A/P and a BO Airways Corp'n 707 was extremely "English" and thorough in his impeccable R/T calls "Speed bird "XYZ" bla bla bla. and he was really hogging the AIRWAVES somewhat ...so some crass Aussie (Obviously descended from felons, hence incurably disrespectful eventually) says . Birdseed "XYZ " ...DROP DEAD" ,...followed immediately by another miscreant with "and report leaving altitudes" Disgraceful eh?. Poor fellow had probably been flying for 14 hours or more.in crap weather. and had an airline breakfast (A hair in a bowl of fat) Still... A coupla beers in the Pub will fix it I suppose. Cold of course. .Nev

• Like 3

Nice idea to put the radio in the car Jack,. .. but FFS, don't go changing channels while you're driving,. . as we don't need a 'Young Pilot trainee hits Back of truck while changing radio frequencies' report.. . . .! ! ! ! ! In the UK, that would be charged as using a Mobile Phone And you'd get a £200 fine and Six demerit points on your license IF you survived hitting the truck. . .( ! )

BW, I use a 5/8ths wave base loaded whip antenna for airband monitoring, as it gives a much greater range for airband VHF comms. Mag bse lso,. . .I only use UHF to listen to the Yanks, ad their radio procedure is Pants, . . ie, heard near Lakenheath USAF base in UK. . . "Err,. . BUGEYE NINER TWO,. .. THIS IS BUGEYE FOUR THREE . .I GOT YOUR SIX BUDDY". . . .hmmmm Most professional. . . .

Phil, it’s working very well and am picking up a few clues from listening, not using it’s VOR and ILS in the car though :-)

Cheers,

Jack.

Jack just ask twr to repeat, slowly - I told one major atc guy that was way to fast (you get some like that) I had Alzheimer's - say all again! - it took him 20 seconds to stop laughing and repeat. They don't have a problem when asked.

Years ago I was sitting in the outdoor bar area at William Creek having a quiet health drink and fell into conversation with a guy about my age (crikey...must have been more than a few years ago) who was deeply tanned and covered in the red dirt of the country, and also taking healthy refreshment.

We talked about aeroplanes and flying and experiences Outback.

He told me about an old squatter he knew who had a Bonanza which he used to collect the station stores from the Alice but hadn’t flown east in 30 years. He decided to go to Brisbane and see the sights.

As he approached Archerfield, he called them up:

Archerfield... tower.... Bonanza.... XYZ ....2000... inbound.

TOwer replied:

BonanzaXYZmakestraightinapproach descend1500fifemilesnotifytowerExpectdownwindjoinRunway28right

The old fella said:

Archer...field...tower........say....again

Tower replied

BonanzaXYZmakestraightinapproach descend1500fifemilesnotifytowerExpectdownwindjoinRunway28right

Old fella

Archerfield....tower.....do...you...hear......how .....slow...I....speak?

Tower

Affirm

Old fella

Well...that’s...how...slow...I....hear....too!

• Like 3