Prescription Sunglasses

tvaner

Pelorus32, top info also. I like the bit about measuring the distances - I was figuring it would just be hope for the best with that part. These things I will definitely do before I tilt at the aviation windmill later this year.

Guest Ginger

Can this information please be include in the training.

:thumb_up:

Hi guys

The information provided in this thread is so brilliant that it somehow needs to be summarised, sorted and put into the training.

None of the training I have had nor the flying texts I have studied really covers glasses, yet it is pretty much a madatory subject for those of us with four eyes 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

:thumb_up:Hi guys

The information provided in this thread is so brilliant that it somehow needs to be summarised, sorted and put into the training.

None of the training I have had nor the flying texts I have studied really covers glasses, yet it is pretty much a madatory subject for those of us with four eyes 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I agree 100%! If Rocko (Scott) had the time and inclination to do it - I think it should be issued to all flying schools by the RA-Aus, and put on the RA-Aus website.. Then, in time, it would find its way into training manuals. Great effort; thanks.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Rocko

Err, so....umm.... ;)

Didn't think people would find it that helpful ;)

It'd need some work, like investigate the CASA requirements, etc, but do people think it might be helpful enough to send as an article in the RAA mag, or Pacific Flyer?

Scotty

Guest airsick

I think it would be very helpful Rocko. My only concern (as outlined above) is the stuff that the FAA and CASA, or more specifically the DAME guidelines, has about sunglasses and prescription glasses. Any article would have to complement rather than contradict that information.

But, judging by your last comment, your are already thinking about that too...

Err, so....umm.... ;)Didn't think people would find it that helpful ;)

It'd need some work, like investigate the CASA requirements, etc, but do people think it might be helpful enough to send as an article in the RAA mag, or Pacific Flyer?

Scotty

Yes, it would be extremely valuable in any flying publication.

I visited my optometrist last year (5 mins south of Ipswich) to explain my dilemma where I need vision correction for "instrument distance" as well as map reading and also with tinting (I had pterigiums removed 10 years ago from both eyes and glare bothers me more than most). On a plane like the drifter I can see all the instruments, except the tacho, without glasses, but on planes equipped with EFIS/GPS I am lost without glasses. Last year the regular optometrist was away and the stand in bloke hadn't dealt with pilots before so couldn't help much. I walked away with another set of readers.

So now I learn that there is an pilot/optometrist just a few minutes up the road next door to Jets. Know where I'll go next time. You would be doing us a great service if you did put an article in a flying mag and I would hope that you would get some benefit for your efforts with a bit of new business. There are probably dozens of pilots in Brisbane who would be interested to know a local optometrist who understands exactly what their needs are and can offer some practical solutions and advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Rocko has provided a great treatise on eyeglass lenses and options and I agree with others that it should be published in RAA mag or somewhere similar.

I just wanted to add some personal observations in case they may be of interest to anyone considering this issue. I have the general solidifying of lenses which seems to come with age and need both reading and distance correction. My solution is a set of clear bifocals with a set of brown or amber tinted clip ons of the type which will flip up if not required. After a fair amount of trial and error these suit me.

First the lenses. I used multifocals for several years and there is no doubt that they are more convenient then bifocals because of the range of correction available with a tilt of the head. Even after a lot of fiddling, the bifocals always have a small range just outside reading range where things are a little blurry until the distance correction distance is reached. It is important that this does not coincide with your panel distance. The issue I had with multifocals is that the inherent distortion in the outer lower quadrants of the lenses had a real effect on my peripheral vision to the extent that after a year or so the visual processors were basically ignoring this area. I found this to be a problem when driving and in flying particularly with landing when direct forward vision is restricted. When I went to the bifocals, where the whole lens is basically distortion free, it took several months for my perceived visual field to expand again. The importance of this will depend on what you fly and how you scan, whether you are an eyeball turner or a head turner.

As for the clip ons, they look a bit daggy but I find them a good solution. If you don´t need the tint for a short time you can just flip them up, look inside, then flip them down again, if you go indoors and the flip up does not suit the image you can clip them under your cap peak out of the way rather than peering through darkened lenses and, if you want to experiment with colours and polarisation, its relatively cheap. Mine are polarised and I have not had problems with canopy transparencies or with any significant LCD displays. If the occasional one gives trouble the flip technique is the go. Otherwise I find the reduction in glare and the increase in contrast a big plus.

The fact that they can stay attached to the glasses is useful, my wife has a set of convertibles and frequently ends up with the glasses in one place and the shades in another. :)

Thx very much Rocko.

I,m about to go thru all of the eye bit soon. I,m doing my Navs and I,m using some $5 K-Mart readers (which do the job brilliantly) but I must get to the Opto and get somethin g proper.

I too am doing the switching back and forth from the readers to sunnies,it drives me nuts:nerd:

I would love to see you do something with RaAus or at least one of the mags.

We do have the editor (Shelley Ross) from Australian Flying as a member of this forum.Perhaps she would be interested in doing a feature on this?

Hey Rocko... Seeing as know a lot about specs generally - can you advise on straight-up sunnys?

I have tried several pairs whilst flying - and prefer those with a very pale lense, but high UV filtering. But most seem to slightly blur the long distance - for me at least. Can you recommend a brand that provides good UV filtering that can be worn in all light conditions - i.e. not overly tinted? 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Rocko

Problem is, Bushy, that many over the counter sunnies tend to be pretty dark. One of the problems with cheaper sunnies, is the lenses distort...either due to quality of manufacture or due to polycarb lenses.

If you try an optical-quality sunglass, perhaps like Rodenstock, or others similar, it might be less distorted. Optical quality has no prescription, but the same low-distortion lenses as prescription glasses.

You can get stuff with 100% UV block, but light tinted lenses. Just not as common, and might have to be specially ordered.

Equally, although it's more expensive, is take a sunglass frame, and put in non-prescription lenses, having them tinted to whatever you like. Not cheap, but certainly you can get whatever you want.

Guest Rocko

Grinz. Then again, I have 8 pair of el' cheapo sunnies, which I have stashed everyewhere. At least then, when I total a pair, or lose one, I generally have another somewhere close at hand. ;)

Then I can kill 15 pair of $20 cheapies, instead of one pair of $300 Oakleys, which I've also done ;>

Guest Rocko

Proof readers wanted

Heya folks

I've finished a draft of an article on optical glasses for flying, and wouldn't mind a few folks to proof read it. Firstly, to see if it's clear to understand in lay terms, but also to see if it answers the questions that people feel need to be answered, wihout being controvertial.

I still have a few diagrams, pics, etc, to include, but as a "beta version", if anyone wouldn't mind proof reading, it'd be appreciated.

Email me, and I'll send you the files (it's only 1.34 meg, with pics) ;)

Cheers,

Scotty