Situational Awareness (SA)

When she is driving, I can make my wife angry by suggesting that she exhibit more situational awareness.

For myself, I reckon it's good to have in the back of your mind that you may be missing something important. That's the message I get from the situational awareness stuff, and its a good message.

My idea of situational awareness  in flying is when you switch of the peripheral "noise" and "think" aeroplane. That covers the essentials like how long have you been climbing  without (clear nose and check oil temp,head temp trends).? Turn fuel quantity into  a flight time to destination equivalent. Check fuel reserves are being maintained. Listen for changes in vibration, engine note. PROVE new fuel selections in a safe place. Check generator has reduced charge rate after the "usual" time. Do all actions before they are covered in the check list look for wind indications on the ground water dust etc look for alternative possible landing places  just as a matter of course Fly quadrantal. Identify absolutely any FIX before you RELY on it. Keep a howgozit (flight time v/s fuel used/ distance covered. Look for" different "cloud  formations that might indicate weather changes coming. Raised dust, smoke. Monitor appropriate radio frequencies and adjust volume control when the opportunity is there. Check fuel useage is even in both wings. Tighten all seat belts prior to landing. Things like that. everyone could be able to make their OWN list. At the end of your trip have a little self debrief . What could have been done better? Be honest with yourself. Nev

• Like 3