The Fly Better books by Noel Kruse

I read about the Fly Better books by Noel Kruse on these forums, but want to amplify how good they are. Because they come as a (free) down loadable PDF, they are easy to put on an iPhone and listen to with NaturalReader Pro or similar. I have half way through the first of four books. Just by listening to the book, I have been able to picture in my mind just how Dutch roll works - something that I had given up ever understanding or picturing in my mind's eye.

And if you plot the rectangular area from a point on the speed-drag curve, you have described the power required. Obvious, now it is mentioned. 

And if you have wind blowing over a church spire, you can view the situation as the church spire moving through the body of air. Obvious, too, but when I first thought of it, it did my head in. That means that next time I am sideslipping to the left, coming in to land, I can view myself as moving to the left through the air mass to catch up to the runway which is also moving through the air mass to the left. (But, TBH, this way of thinking about things does lose its utility when gusts come into play. Or does it? If the wind suddenly stopped, that would be, from my point of view, a gust from the right and the runway suddenly stopping moving. The problem is, why would the runway stop moving just because there was a gust from the right. The answer might be that, from the reference point of the wind, my aircraft was suddenly jerked to the right, for no reason.)  

In spite of the above, I think that he will very much emphasise *practicable* flying. I just havn't got far enough into the books. 

I haven't found one yet that I would recommend to  do ALL of what you ever need. If they are "off the radar for weirdness", be careful in applying anything without thinking it fully through, or  apply it out of context.. MY INSTRUCTOR  said. may only be PART of what he said.... OR (Shock horror) HE may actually be wrong.

Newtons laws of motion are something that you can't neglect.  You don't lose points with me if you can't recall the order... I don't use Bernoulli unless the examiner is welded to it. or you can't think of anything else at the time.. An explanation should make sense . Initially, you may just have to accept a few basics, but as time progresses you should understand WHY you do anything, what the results of an action may be and energy as it relates to  speed/ height on approaches, descents  RoC and RoD, lift/ drag relationships and power/ speed in turns and other maneuvers.  This is a brief list  and far from complete. Nev

• Like 1