Dynon D3 and Uavionix AC-30

Anyone had experience with these two ?

They're a little different

The D3 - primarily a GPS indicator box with attitude , slip display and can be portable or fixed. (US$900)

https://www.dynonavionics.com/pocket-panel.php

The AC-30 is a do all, has pitot/static inputs and gps input and has a DG internal, can be primary or augmentive. Intended for fixed install. 

(US$1500 + options). Has 'experimental' or "certified' (label) options. This is a sophisticated and capable instrument package.

https://uavionix.com/product/av-30-exp/

Wonder how each of them are on readability .... 

Edited by RFguy

7 hours ago, RFguy said:

Anyone had experience with these two ?

They're a little different

The D3 - primarily a GPS indicator box with attitude , slip display and can be portable or fixed. (US$900)

https://www.dynonavionics.com/pocket-panel.php

The AC-30 is a do all, has pitot/static inputs and gps input and has a DG internal, can be primary or augmentive. Intended for fixed install. 

(US$1500 + options). Has 'experimental' or "certified' (label) options. This is a sophisticated and capable instrument package.

https://uavionix.com/product/av-30-exp/

Wonder how each of them are on readability .... 

Haven't flown a D3 as yet; fitted one for a mate and will be doing the flights soon.  I plan to fit one of these early next year so watching the market.

The AC-30 looks better for the added price.  My pros and cons are D3 sits out from panel in the 3 1/8 hole and also has a power lead to plugs into the side.

AC30 fits into the 3 1/8 hole from behind and more features so on top of my list at present.

I have the D2, superceded by the D3.

Great display, easy to interpret. Mine is attached to the Panel with the included hardware, I use a remote Antenna sitting on the Dash as i found the internal  Antenna unreliable.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Roscoe,

have you still got your Dynon d3? Have you been happy with it? I’m trying to weigh up if I should go that way, or spend an extra thousand and go for the Garmin g5

Hi Jenny

The Dynon does everything i need  and can be removed easily if required.

Its your choice, but unless you really need something fancy, cant go past the Dynon D3.

Hasnt let me down in almost 10 years

Hi Roscoe, thanks for that. No, I don’t really need all that fancy stuff. My turn and balance indicator has packed it in and was thinking of putting something with a few extra things  in the dash. Thought the dynon would be a great idea. Do you keep yours charged in all the time, or remove it and recharge at home? 
Thanks

I have a cable from the cig lighter outlet to the Dynon which keeps it charged while the engine is running, so fully charged all the time

The Dynon pocket panel is great value for the lower end of the market user wanting a backup HSI; it gives you basic air and attitude data. The graphics are reasonable enough and easy to read in flight.

The AV30 is way ahead of the dynon regarding capability. With the new AV-HSI accessory module added it can now provide coupled approaches and compete directly with the G5; there are a few things each can and cannot do. Overall the AV30-E is amazing value for price and offers an array of instrument expansion options.

Agree however Jenny just wanted a basic unit providing basic information.

For a VFR Pilot the D3 is a good option.

Uavionix AV-20 is also worth looking at as a basic turn coordinator and attitude instrument; also has some expansion options.

Thanks Roscoe and Area-51. Appreciate both your thoughts. Agree that the Av30 is far superior in what it does. Do I really need that capability? Who knows , maybe I might need to replace something else in the future, but the AV30 may already have it covered, terrific, or I might just be over complicating my cockpit.  
Got to think more on this. But the dynon is definitely a good option!

Thanks for your thoughts

4 hours ago, Jabba jenny said:

Thanks Roscoe and Area-51. Appreciate both your thoughts. Agree that the Av30 is far superior in what it does. Do I really need that capability? Who knows , maybe I might need to replace something else in the future, but the AV30 may already have it covered, terrific, or I might just be over complicating my cockpit.  
Got to think more on this. But the dynon is definitely a good option!

Thanks for your thoughts

Its just a question of how much you want spend; you can always upgrade and on sell the lesser product

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

AV30 is not yet approved for IFR, regardless it is good to see competition on the market.

I prefer round displays, rather than squared..

https://uavionix.com/faq-items/is-av-30-approved-for-primary-ifr-navigation/

For certified aircraft this is correct; for Experimental aircraft it is accepted. The Av30C will receive its AV-HSI approval later in the year and will still require a TSO nav/com/gps source to be approved. The AV30C is fully compliant and approved for IFR.

Edited by Area-51

Posted (edited)

Clarity on above; the AV30C can be used as a primary HSI or DG for IFR but currently not as a Localiser VOR or DME.

Edited by Area-51