wood construction

Guest jamiechipp

Guest jamiechipp

hi there everyone is there anyone out there that is building a wood kit i am looking into building a jdtmini-max kit and have never looked into wood building before and im having trouble finding any info or books even dvd's on how to build a wood kit if anyone know's of anything the info would be greatly apreciated thanks

regards jamie

You might find the forums here:

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl

useful, as they are mostly about mini-max (and other aircraft in that fleet) construction.

also this build log might be handy:

http://community-2.webtv.net/flydon/DonsMiniMaxSport/

and the homebuiltaircraft forums are a good resource too - they have a wood aircraft section which has some useful info:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/

Bob Hoover's blog also has some useful info, though his info tends to be more about experimental construction methods:

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/

More interesting reading:

w o o d w o r l d > > > presented by Teak and Fancy Timbers

Properties of wood

Jamie, there are loads of sites to visit on this subject, but the most important thing you need to know is that you get what you pay for. Top quality wood is imported and therefore you pay more. Australian wood, such as Hoop Pine, may be stronger but it's heavier so you pay in a different way. Make sure you know the properties of any particular wood and don't buy unless you've seen it for yourself.

Guest jamiechipp

re doug

thanks for the advise my intention is to fly to the states in december to inspect the kit for my self and will be taking pics but all the info i can gather now will be great so thanks everyone for all your help anymore would be great

Jamie,

I had a look at the JDT site. Please make sure you come and see us before you go to the USA.

Check your private messages to find out who the "us" is you have to come see.

Old Man Emu

• 7 months later...

Gday, Probably too late for the answer but I have built the Minimax ( TEAM Inc ) 1600R and it is still flying perfectly 14 years later. If you need any help, am only too happy to oblige.

Let me know what you would like. It was any easy build for the most part using only my knowledge of model building. There are some tricks I picked up from other builders and some useful modelling techniqes, but she flew perfectly from day one without any trimming or ballast required. One of the best things I have ever done

Regards Waz

• 8 months later...

Kits or plans??

Question with JDT mini max .... Is it better to buy the kit from the US or go with plans and local supplies? I was thinking the mini kits.

http://www.jdtmini-max.com/aboutouraircraft.php

I have being putting off starting since 2001 when Sebora Pty Ltd sent me a heap of material. Well the time is getting closer and I feel now I can commit to the project over time. I have stuffed around building enough building/flying RC models to at least get a feel for wood strength basics and techniques (Still love my models ...dont get me wrong .. Just ready to build a bit bigger!)

Any thoughs?

Phil

Hey Phildo,

As I scratch-built mine some 14 years ago, I found it easy to get some supplies here in Oz. I was extremely lucky to find Brad Waldron in Castlemaine Vic, who was an artist in cutting the timbers from gigantic logs of Spruce ( and if you have seen the plans there is quite a lot of small cut timber in the wings).

These days, I dont know what Brad is doing, so my suggestion would be the mini kits. I did purchase a couple from Wayne Ison when it was the TEAM Inc MiniMax, and they were very well produced and relatively easy to ft into my aircraft.

I built from the 1100R plans set, but it was an older set of plans and the width of the fuselage was 22inches, where the newer models are 24 inches. I had to re-work the rear turtle deck just a little to get it to fit, but as you can see, it does and quite well.

Still the best little aircraft I have ever flown and more than worth the 2 1/2 years build time.

The ONLY problem I have ever had with this arcraft, is that on landing, those huge wings tend to blanket the rudder thus you can turn into a go-kart real quick, so we have to fly it onto the ground and hold the tail off the ground until it stalls. By this time the speed has washed off and the tailwheel allows decent steerage.

Hope this helps some and if you need any help, just drop in a new quote here or contat me through the membrs messages.

Cheers ( it is worth the build )

Thanks Wotbak .... I too believe that the mini kits are the go. I will most likely PM with a few basic questions on the mini max build - nothing to serious - just local info as there are a lot of threads in the US.

Cheers mate,

Phil