Hi all, 

1. Looking for a reputable seat maker (for kit aircraft), - any recommendations for the Greater Sydney, Southern Highlands, Woolongong, areas ??

2. Has anyone used/adapted any of the automotive shaped seat foam replacements , that can be purchase from a number of supplier eg https://seatsrus.com.au/shop/foam-replacement ???

• Informative 1

I made mine very comfortable by mounding it to my butte (sat in pile of gravel, lined it with glad wrap, poured in plaster to make cast of backside) then adding 20mm of foam.
I suspect some people concentrate on making their seat light and comfortable and forget about the secondary function: protecting your spine in a crash. Mine has a lumbar support and the whole thing sits on polystyrene blocks to absorb crash impact.

Some wrap-around rally car seats seem to give excellent protection, if they can be made light enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

I made mine very comfortable by mounding it to my butte (sat in pile of gravel, lined it with glad wrap, poured in plaster to make cast of backside) then adding 20mm of foam.
I suspect some people concentrate on making their seat light and comfortable and forget about the secondary function: protecting your spine in a crash. Mine has a lumbar support and the whole thing sits on polystyrene blocks to absorb crash impact.

Some wrap-around rally car seats seem to give excellent protection, if they can be made light enough.

Hi OK -

The foam you used to fill  the buttock mold ??

AND

How durable is the foam in service ??

I am contemplating purchasing one of the pre shaped automotive foam base & back (see link) - trimming to fit the aircraft and like you having a lair of polystyrene - when satisfied with the result, getting a professional upholstery person to make the seat covers to make a aesthetically pleasing finish (possibly in old English sports car leather type) and to enhance durability.

I am hoping for some recommendations regarding the upholstery service provider

4 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Hi OK -

The foam you used to fill  the buttock mold ??

No idea, Skip. I formed the base obituary fiberglass over the plaster cast of my buckside, then lined it with a layer of foam rubber.  

How durable is the foam in service ??

It’s still comfortable, but I have only actually sat on it for only about 250 hrs over decade or so.

I support your plan of getting it professionally upholstered; mine certainly has that “home-made” finish.

8 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

No idea, Skip. I formed the base obituary fiberglass over the plaster cast of my buckside, then lined it with a layer of foam rubber.  

It’s still comfortable, but I have only actually sat on it for only about 250 hrs over decade or so.

Sounds like you suffer from numb bum 😆

250 hrs is pretty good - if the foam has maintained its shape (not compressed/crumbled)