Own Design - Certification Requirements

DaveD

I've just spent a fun three hours trawling through the RA-Aus Ops Manual, AC21.11, AC21.4, CAO 95.10, CAO95.55 and CAO101.28. trying to determine the requirements for own-design aircraft. As far as I can tell under RA-Aus, single seat, below 300kg MTOW and 30kg/m2 wing loading you can try just about anything(!). But if I want to go to two seats I'd be looking at an LSA and would have to go through all the requirements for producing one i.e. Just like a manufacturer I'd need to apply for a special CoA and experimental certificate and satisfy CASA that my design meets CAO101.28. 

Looking at the SAAA side of things there appears to be more flexibility under the Amateur Built Experimental - MTOW of 1500kg, up to 4 seats etc. (as per AC21.11 and 101.28) but I'd ultimately need an RPL/PPL to fly the aircraft.

Have I got this right? The above documents are bureaucracy at it's absolute worst!

• Agree 1

RAAus own design two seat is not LSA. It's just amateur-built.

VH Experimental amateur-built has no weight limitations or passenger limitations. CAO 101.28 still exists but is dead and buried. Ignore it.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

CAO95.55 is what you want. It does mention LSA there, but there's also an amateur-built category, and there's no airworthiness standards. It's your signature saying your design is airworthy.

But make sure it is, or you might get an assigned test area 100nm out back of Walgett, between 1200 and 1205 on the 4th Sunday of every month to fly off your 40 hour test period!😝

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, KRviator said:

CAO95.55 is what you want. It does mention LSA there, but there's also an amateur-built category, and there's no airworthiness standards. It's your signature saying your design is airworthy.

But make sure it is, or you might get an assigned test area 100nm out back of Walgett, between 1200 and 1205 on the 4th Sunday of every month to fly off your 40 hour test period!😝

I don't know how I missed that the first time. Thanks!