difference between J160 and LSA

Ricke

• 4 weeks later...
Probably it would be best if you read up on the following LSA [ Light Sport Aircraft ] requirements taken from the RAAus web site; http://www.auf.asn.au/operations/LSA_explained.htmlPerhaps to clarify, I assume you are not referring to the original small fuselage 55 series Jabirus which are often referred to as LSA's but to the new international LSA category aircraft that are now appearing in increasing numbers of makes and types.

If you intend to kit build then that aircraft will not conform to an LSA category aircraft.

LSA aircraft must be factory built, conform to strict testing and quality controls which under LSA rules, can be carried out by the manufacturer who can then certify that aircraft as meeting all the necessary requirements for registration in the LSA category.

Unlike any kit built or non certified aircraft, this certified LSA aircraft can then be used for hire and reward.

As the aircraft is certified by the manufacturer who is responsible for the design and integrity of the aircraft, alterations to any part of the aircraft can NOT be made without the manufacturer's or certifier's express permission.

Even the fitting of a VSI to our J120's sparse panel needed Jabiru's approval which in this case was readily granted.

A factory built J160 is approved as an LSA aircraft but it's MTOW is only certified [from Jabiru's web site ] as 540 kgs and useable load including fuel as 245kgs.

The lower MTOW is to meet the LSA requirements on maximum stall speeds at MTOW.

The situation was created by a high wing loading at MTOW due to the short span and therefore small wing area.

The near identical factory built J170 with another 1.5 metres span and a greater wing area, a slower stall speed as a result of more span and slower approach speeds and a shorter T/O run is a certified LSA with a MTOW of 600kgs and a useable load of 290 kgs.

[ The MTOW for any LSA certified aircraft is 600 kgs unless the manufacturer specifies a lower figure.]

The only difference in these aircraft other than the MTOW is the J170's extra 1.5 metres span.

Both aircraft have identical, comfortable and very roomy fuselages with considerable storage capacity behind the two seats.

Both aircraft have wing tanks with a maximum useable fuel capacity of 130 / 135 liters.

Both aircraft use the 4 cylinder Jabiru 2200 85 hp engine which at 2950 to 3000 rpm will cruise at very close to 100 knots.

The new $58,000 LSA certified factory built J120 has a smaller cockpit which is an almost identical cockpit to the older Jabiru 55 series but has a much longer fuselage than the 55 series to give much better and easier and more pleasant handling in the pitch and yaw.

The span is 8.16 metres or almost identical with the J160.

The MTOW is 500 kgs.

The useable load is 235 kgs and there is a small amount of storage space behind the seats which is mostly occupied by a 65 litre fuel tank.

The engine is again the same 4 cylinder 2200 series 85 hp engine which due to the smaller fuselage cross section enables a cruise speed at 2950 to 3000 rpm of very close to 105 knots.

Fuel consumption for the 2200 engines at 3000 rpm is close to 15 ltrs / hr.

Depending on your financial circumstances, if finance is limited and whose isn't, and luggage capacity is not a requirement nor over 3 hour duration legs and personal size ie; fat buggers like me! is not an issue then the J120 is a must look at.

If range, luggage capacity and personal comfort is needed then the J170 would be my first choice, not the J160 and I will confess here that I am heavily influenced by my gliding experience when it comes to comparing short span perfomance to long span performance.

Long span comes out on top every time in just about every catergory except aerobatics.

We also have two beautifully and locally kit built J170 and a J230 in our hangar and new Club owned certified J120 and a certified J230 glider tug/ trainer / xcountry aircraft.

I have based my comments on our experiences with these aircraft.

Have fun and may your choice give you great pleasure for many years ahead.

Small correction - the J160C is NOT built under the Light Sports Aircraft rule; it's a type-certificated aircraft.