LOC-inflight • according to Perdue

Garfly

BTW, I don't think this is a great model of cinematic coherence either; it's based on one of his chatty PowerPoint presentations. If we're "present in the room" we probably expect less in the way of clarity, coherence and concision than if we're reading a book, say, or watching a proper film.  This is basically a spin analysis video with a few accident details and motherhood statements thrown in to pull it together and justify the generalised title. We don't even find out till the end that the accident guy got into a spin because he was practising stalls (solo) to sharpen his stick and rudder skills.

What say you, PenName?   ;- ) 

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Flattering that someone asks me what I think. Overall, I hold youtube chats to a different standard than RA-Aus videos that had “countless hours” of editing and are among the “best in the world”. 

I do worry about myself. Now Im hearing myself say that telling people that if they neutralise the controls and leave the power in you they recover from a spin is dangerous. Im pretty sure PARE is more reliable. 

Fascinating that stick forward is a pro spin input. But PARE is power to idle, THEN stop the rotation, THEN stick  forward, which is not pro spin.

His bit about hypothesis testing was subtly wrong to. You need to test hypotheses to see if they bit the facts, but you ALSO need to check hypotheses that contradict the first hypothesis that also fit the facts.

One such hypothesis is the he was practicing power off stalls, stalled and tried to recover by adding power before he had lowered the nose. I once had a flying instructor tell me that if you are recovering from a stall you can add power and down elevator at the same time! (You can’t because if you are in a powerful aircraft adding lots of power can drop the left wing and put you in a spin.

Also, of course the FAA was right in saying there was insufficient speed. Unless there is insufficient speed, you can’t stall and spin - but I know what he means.

This is a good example of why everyone should practice spins! The reason is that a) everyone should practice stalls and b) if you mess up stall recovery you can spin. If the accident pilot had done spin training, he would have cut the power and thereby survived. This applies to 300 hp aircraft even more than RA-Aus aircraft.    

• Like 1